Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello plant enthusiasts  (Read 4870 times)

Xochipilli

Hello plant enthusiasts
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »

I´m very excited about this new community!
As a biologist i am fascinated by growing these interesting plants since many years.
It is nice to be connected to people who share the interest in this extraordinary hobby.
The only drawback of this hobby is that it is getting quite cold here during winter times.
Indoors i have often problems with pests and to less light. Lamps are of cause good, but not that ecologic as i like to have it. This is why i´m dreaming of a greenhouse.
Plants play a important role in my live. Living on a vegan diet they enable me to live as close to the energy of light as i can :)
I have the feeling that this community will grow to something very special and i am happy to be a part of it.

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
Re: Hello plant enthusiasts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »

Hello and welcome to Share The Seeds,  Xochipilli   :)

We are glad you joined, and hope you enjoy this place.

I'm a plant enthusiast myself.

Check out the site thouroughly, if you haven't already.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

Hello Xochipilli, and thank you for your intro :)

I have the feeling that this community will grow to something very special and i am happy to be a part of it.

That's the spirit! I hope you can share with us your findings and ideas. And by the way, I know it sucks not to have a proper garden or a greenhouse, but even indoors there's many, many things you can do.

Welcome to STS,

Mandrake

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »

Welcome to STS Xochipilli!

I live in a climate that had cold winters and I am also dreaming of a greenhouse.
From what I've read they are cheaper to build than to buy pre-assembled.

I'm going to save up 400-500$ and build my own. :)

There are a multitude of things you can do to prevent pests from eating your indoor plants. Neem oil is a natural pesticide and works wonders. You should look into getting some.

On the topic of lights; fluorescent lights seem to be the way to go. They have decent output if they are big enough and don't use a ton of power like MH and HPS.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »

On the topic of lights; fluorescent lights seem to be the way to go. They have decent output if they are big enough and don't use a ton of power like MH and HPS.

^ yep. Try to see if you can find T4 fluorescent tubes. Cheap, efficient and light. If not, T5 are fine enough, or you can always go with CFLs - although I personally prefer the T4 tubes above everything I've tried so far (well, perhaps with the exception of first-class LEDs, but these are still too expensive if they are good at all).

Try them, then you tell us ;)

Mandrake

Xochipilli

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome! 2centprofit, the idea of building a greenhouse on your own is very cool, i love DIY stuff. Why not including some space for you as well and building a http://earthship.com/ :).
Yes, neem oil seems to be the way to go, i will try it soon, thanks!
Mandrake, T4 and T5 are very good and LED's are getting better and affordable. I also have a aerogarden but i were not very happy with results.
Another workaround in cold climate is to build a windowgarden. I will soon post my version of a windowgarden. I'm quite busy all the time, so it might take some time to answer posts, so sorry for that.

dimitrix

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »

where're u from xochi if i can ask you? i remember a guy called xochi on forums..  ::) :D

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »

Welcome to STS Xochipilli :)
Cactus = Life