Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Acacia Acuminata BURNED by too much sun  (Read 2966 times)

BotanyBay

Acacia Acuminata BURNED by too much sun
« on: March 07, 2016, 05:57:55 AM »

So a few weeks ago the weather started to get nice and warm and I put out my little acacia acuminata in what I thought was partially shaded sunlight and into a new pot with a two-layer soil pattern (loamy lower layer, sandy/rocky upper layer). Sadly, the plant's little leaves have curled up and mostly fallen off due to the too-intense sunlight. However, there are some longer leaf-life pieces (these were the "stems" holding the baby leaves) that are still quite verdent.

The plant was about 5 months old and 6" long (grown indoors in winter in a small container) when I transferred it to the larger pot, with little green stems supporting clusters of small leaves.  The stems are still green after the sun trauma, and the tree itself seems perky and upright.

I can't post photos right now (new computer, yet to set up jmtpfs or w/e for my phone), but I was wondering if these longer, needle-like structures are actual foliage that can sustain the plant.

What other things can/should I do to improve the rate of recovery? Should I give it a small humidity dome? Should I give it any fertilizer (if so, what ratio, etc).

I look forward to your feedback on this.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Acacia Acuminata BURNED by too much sun
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »

Put it in the shade, if possible with dappled sun light and make sure to keep it watered. Do not fertilize or use a humidity dome, since it was damaged it will be more susceptible to infections or fungus.

If for some reason it does not pull through send me a PM with your address and I will send more seeds.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

BotanyBay

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:39:00 AM »

It's been kept in the shade for the past week and has been watered a little bit every other day with used water from the fish tanks.

Attached is a picture of the tree in today's condition. The little leaves all dried up and fell off, but there appears to still be some vitality in the plant. Are the longer green blades both leaves and stems? This is a really funky little tree!

EDIT I cannot upload the image! I get an error that reads: "The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved." I guess the location where attachments are saved either no longer exists or I have no permission to write there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:41:32 AM by BotanyBay »

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »

Attachments are currently disabled for everyone because we're having some issues with spam. If you have imgur or some other photo sharing site, a link would be great.