Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need ID on trichocereus species  (Read 10623 times)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Need ID on trichocereus species
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »

Looks to be Cereus peruvianus or Cereus macrogonus. They make great grafting stock.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »

Does anyone have a idea what this may be,  It was started as seed labeled Trichocereus peruvianus bought from a e-bay vendor.

Gotta watch it with Ebay, there are some not-so-honest-or-possibly-uninformed-folks on there.

If you're going to buy something in the future, feel free to send a link to me and I'll be happy to check it out for you.

Then the question becomes, "will Hcc outbid me?". I can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non existence of such a possible occurrence.  :o 8) ;)

Hcc

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »

Yes, I have learned my lesson with ebay (more than once)

I just bought 2 crosses from misplant,   Bridgesii Helen x Psycho0,   and,  SS02xSS01 x LumberJack

I also have some Trich seed from Horizon herb now Strictly medicnal seed San Pedro and Peruvianus  ,I have had great luck with their shop in the past   

https://www.strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product.asp?specific=2495

Next spring/summer I will also likey try to obtain some clone material (the wait is killing me)
III%

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 12:41:23 AM »

Wow, that must have just happened in the past day or two.  I was just checking them out either last week or earlier this week and they were still Horizon.

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »

Yes, I have learned my lesson with ebay (more than once)

I just bought 2 crosses from misplant,   Bridgesii Helen x Psycho0,   and,  SS02xSS01 x LumberJack

Buy as many as you can, I see crossbreeding as a very interesting future for the cacti.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »

I also have some Trich seed from Horizon herb now Strictly medicnal seed San Pedro and Peruvianus  ,I have had great luck with their shop in the past

I'd also recommend staying away from typical entheo vendor's Trichocereus seed. They normally have no idea what their seed will produce. You're rolling the dice big time for a 3-4 year wait to see what they look like. WSS seed is pretty much all from Sacred Succulents so they're good to go but you might as well order directly from SS.

You don't really know what you'll get even if you know both parents, but you're hedging your bets.

Hcc

happyconcacti

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »

https://www.strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product.asp?specific=2495

So I looked into their San Pedro seeds and a couple things:

1)
most of the San Pedros found growing in the US are from sterile clones.
I call sales-bullshit. Seriously stinky, crap loaded bullshit. PC pachanoi flowers profusely. EDIT: It's possible they mean "self-sterile" clones which means that PC cannot pollinate itself, which is true. But leaving it as "sterile" would mean they cannot produce at all, which is definitely not true. Misplant has PC x psycho0 and PC x scopulicola crosses coming out soon, both of which I'll be growing. PC does have a lot of good qualities including: disease resistance, cold tolerance, profuse flowering, fast growing, great grafting stock, and more. Imagine getting the genetics of that mixed in with other desirable qualities! :)

2) the pod in the picture is FAR from being ripe, which leads me to believe they don't wait for the pods to burst, picking the fruits early drastically affects germination rates

3) the plant in their pictures looks like the typical PC pachanoi found in hardware stores across the US. Furthermore, the hairs on the flower are whitish gray, not black, which also indicates PC.

I don't mean to rag on this vendor, I'm sure they have a lot of good stuff. But when it comes to these vendors and Trichocereus, they usually have no idea.

If you want a bit of PC open pollinated seed to play with LibertyNY, feel free to send me a PM. I have a couple hundred I could spare. (Offer only for libertyNY)

Hcc
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:49:42 PM by happyconcacti »

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 01:24:33 AM »

I have no idea as well . . .

" PC does have a lot of good qualities including: disease resistance, cold tolerance, profuse flowering, fast growing, great grafting stock"   ---   First I have heard of this.

Have any good links for me ?  Specifically about the various named varitys.

What exactly is 'typical PC pachanoi' ?   edit -- I figured it out PC is not what im looking for
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:01:06 AM by LIBERTYNY »
III%
Pages: 1 [2]