Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Theobroma Cacao  (Read 4185 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
Theobroma Cacao
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:01:28 AM »

I know very little about theobroma cacao (chocolate). I had a specific question in regarding the difference between culinary and ceramonial Theobroma cacao? I was also wondering about the alkaloid differences between the two? I'm currently trying to find a supplier who can source this plant. I remember one that allowed requests, i'll have to check out the supply section. For now i'm just interested in any mediums to learn about theobroma cacao; links, books, articles, studies, etc.

I'll do my own research but was wondering if anyone had any really noteworthy sources of information?
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Trading Score: +82
  • Love for all life.
Re: Theobroma Cacao
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:18 AM »

You could check this link:
http://worldseedsupplydotnet.blogspot.dk/2009/09/germination-of-theobroma-cacao-cocoa.html
And i posted a link in the suppliers thread where they sell fresh seeds but are not in stock atm.
Be good. Be evil. Just remember there's a balance jing and jang. good is only good because of evil. Evil is only evil because good.
So removing all evil would be removing all good?

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »

You can order cacao (red or yellow) from www.toptropicals.com in Ft. Myers. Great growers and excellent shippers.  Pine Island Nursery in Miami has them too, but they do not ship. If you catch the right person on the phone at either place, they may be able to answer some of your other questions. Red cacao produces more pulp. Here is a link with some info:

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/theobroma_cacao.htm

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »

Stonehenge

• Trading Score: +53
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »

I tried growing cacoa a while back but they all died on me. It may have been the cold or not enough water or didn't take good enough care. I may try again one day.

Botanicus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +163
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 04:05:42 PM »

I have found that Theobroma cacao is not able to pollinate itself, or does so rarely; so you would need more than one tree in order to get fruit set.
"We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden"

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »

I still haven't been able to grow any Cacao, hoping to invest in a greenhouse first and foremost :)
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...