Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help, my Rivea corymbosa vine is dying!  (Read 6048 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Help, my Rivea corymbosa vine is dying!
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »

Hello,

It was growing very good, and had produced climbing shoots all over the place.
The pot was somewhat small, but I had no other choice, since a bigger pot wouldn't fit on the shelf behind my window (It's the only warm and light place for it at winter)

So anytime I thought it was getting yellow, I fed it with 1 week aged human urine, and it did great on urine: greener and fuller leaves and faster shoot growth.
Everything was fine, until.... suddenly I decided to try to feed it new stuff.
I fed it semen one time, and also I mixed about 50cc of expired sour chocolate milk with urine, let it sit for 1 week, and fed it to the poor plant.

I don't know if it was the semen or the chocolate urine milk, but it began to shrink and turn dry and yellow after 2 days!
All of its leaves are wrinkled and almost dry now.
The very first day I noticed this, I flushed its dirt with lots and lots of water, but it didn't do any good.

What can I do about it?
Rivea corymbosa seeds are a bitch to germinate, I don't want to lose my 1 year old plant, which was the only germinated seed out of 30 I sowed.
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Help, my Rivea corymbosa vine is dying!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:02:18 AM »

The symptoms sound like classic root burn and I'm thinking you didn't dilute your creative fertilizer mix enough. If the leaves are crinkly already I think you're screwed, but since you flushed it all you can do is wait to see how it responds. You might want to severely prune the top to reduce the stress on whatever roots might remain.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

doublebenno

• obsessive* plant collector
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
  • enjoying the journey :-)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:38:16 AM »

Hey radium, I've found r. corymbosa super easy to grow from seeds, I would say your seeds were old if u had difficulty
it's a lovely day!

Mean maximum temperature (°C) 25.5, highest 43.2
Mean minimum temperature (°C) 15.7, lowest 2.3
Mean rainfall (mm) - 145
Elevation - 38 m

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:39:49 AM »

I'll second that.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:18:32 AM »

I don't know if it was the semen or the chocolate urine milk, but it began to shrink and turn dry and yellow after 2 days!

Call me boring, but what's wrong with using good old Miracle Grow (or it's equivalent in your location)?  Not that I'm against experimentation, but why risk a plant that was so hard for you to obtain?  Is it a matter of availability, or cost of more traditional fertilizers?  Unless, of course you have an excess of semen, and make a habit of letting your chocolate milk go bad, then it makes perfect sense.    ;) ;D

Radium

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 06:59:40 AM »

Aside from being easy to germinate, do you have any tips about germinating them for me? just toss them in moist paper towel and put in zip-bag?

I heavily pruned it just now after reading your post.
Some branches were dry as wood [brown woody ones], while some still had some juice in them [green ones].

There's lots of different fertilizers around me.
Natural, synthetic; liquid, granules, etc.
But using them kills the fun for me.
But this incident taught me to never experiment on plants that I only own one of it.
Sad shitty world we're living in.
Something must always get killed.
It's either the fun, or the plant.
[/color]
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Radium

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »

Life without experimenting will get so boring so soon.
It doesn't have to be expensive or require state-of-the-art equipment.
One just needs to watch her/his surrounding closer, and s/he will always find something cool to experiment on.

Aside from accidentally killing plants, currently I'm doing two other experiments:
  • Training my right forearm using a heavy gripper, to see if it will get bigger than my left forearm or not.
  • My beard hairs are 90% dark and 10% light yellow, my (upper lip) mustache hairs are the opposite, which kinda makes me look like those ISIS insurgents when I grow my facial hair.
    Thus I'm plucking the yellow mustache hairs and let the dark ones remain, and when new hair strands emerge, I do it again, removing the yellow ones and leaving the dark ones intact, to see if over time my mustache will have dominantly dark hairs or not.
    So I won't look like an ISIS scum anymore, and also prove something cool.

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »

Life without experimenting will get so boring so soon.
It doesn't have to be expensive or require state-of-the-art equipment.
One just needs to watch her/his surrounding closer, and s/he will always find something cool to experiment on.

Nothing wrong with trying new things, I think that's a good quality.  Find something easy for you to grow, and that you have plenty of, to try things out the first few times.   :)

Back to the point of the original post, I hope your R. corymbosa recovers.  Has flushing the soil helped?

Radium

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »

Yes you're absolutely right.
Unlike some of my other plants, it loved the urine so much, I guess I've fed her about 10 liters already, and she just got more fresh and green.
And that led me to think it's invincible  :-X

I trimmed all the shoots, it just has the trunk and 2 main branches.
Still no sign of regrowth, but the lower leaves are still alive (although very wrinkly)
Let's see if she can return.

I also noticed one of the small T.peruvianus cuttings have become completely yellow, it was covered 2 layers of nylon, I wonder if it's dying out of cold or if it's a mutation.
I transferred her indoors out of caution.

MirlitonVine

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 05:53:09 PM »

Radium, what is your climate like? Rivera can survive down to the upper 20s, perhaps even lower. Maybe you could take a cutting, root it, and plant it in the ground. Growing outside, in the ground, it developes a hard bark on its stems, it's much tougher than ipomeas. Mine is still green and growing btw, in the ground unprotected, after multiple frosts and one freeze this year.