Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: In a Sh*t hits the fan situation what 10 plant species do you want in your yard?  (Read 5594 times)

cactusmuncher

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 15
  • Just a backyard botanist ;)

Say some sort of disaster threw the world into chaos (really not that far fetched nowadays.) What 10 plant varieties do you want to be growing? Clearly food crops and medicinal crops would be at the top of the list. But maybe some plants to create bio-diesel or some brugmansia for poisoned arrows?

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85

Jerusalem artichokes
turnip
Potato
carrot
beet
Apple
walnut
Good king henery
siberian pea shrup
water chestnuts

Cactusmuncher Our lists should overlap somwhat  :)

learn forageing skills, trapping, hunting, and basic primitive skills, and tactical combat skills H2H ect.  (espicaly in SNY)
III%

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.

a hectare of E. Novo bushes
P. Somniferum
P. Harmala
Shampoo Ginger
The Fountain of Youth
Blood Diamonds
Lentils
Citrus
Apples
Miracle Fruit
Caapi
Sugarcane
Mints
A very large harem
Sweet Potatoes
Cannabis Sativa
A legion of mucous men
ICBM equipped with a thermonuclear warhead with a 23 Gigaton Payload
Moby Dick's Eye
Juul's Giant.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 03:17:02 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit

In a tropical situation:

Pigeon pea
Cassava
Chaya
Sweet potato
Ever bearing mulberry
Banana
Taro/malanga
Star fruit
Sugar cane
Amaranth

There's obviously many more I'd add but those are the main ten I'd choose in a pinch due to reliability and ease of growth.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:53:51 PM by MadPlanter »
Spreading love!

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist

Pawpaw
Amaranth or quinoa
Mullien for medicine
Broadleaf Plantain (Yeah I know it's a weed but it's great for colds and a bunch of other stuff)
Mulberry
Schisandra chinensis
Gotu kola
Corn
Cannabis sativa
Potatoes!
Common sage
I'd also really hope I wouldmt live where I do now in this situation xD my property is honestly terrible for growing things.
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212

In a tropical situation:
Cassava
Sweet potato
Banana

This tree plants are essential in tropical conditions  ;)

some bean is important too.....and some medicine, caapi and chacruna at least

It is my list  :D

EDIT:

I forgot Açaí (Euterpe oleracea)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:36:37 PM by EIRN »

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85

You guys down South are spoiled rotten . . .
III%

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.

You guys down South are spoiled rotten . . .

Yes. Yes we are!  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :P :D
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......

Azolla pinnata, Wolffia arrhiza, Lemna minor, (can all be grown with ease and without inputs or maintenance at any water source)
Portulaca oleracea, Amaranthus cruentus, Sesame indicum,(oils and protein+ very low maitenance)
Tagetes minuta(insecticide and tasty salads)
Cyperus esculentus Tiger nuts(food for me + fish/animal bait)
Capsicum chinense Bhut Jolokia(insecticide and food flavouring)
Urtica ferox(defence/medicine/entertainment)

I guess the above would be top 10, but my BOB has ~50species, and more importantly I can ID a lot of cool wild stuff in most places.
Got a few coffee tins stashed here and there up and down the AU coastline, just in case, for a rainy day...
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
My top 10
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 02:39:00 AM »

Species? hmm.. how about some general ideas.. (pardon my lack of botany wisdom... I am limited..)

1) Earth Almonds..

2) Paw Paws

3) Reishi mushrooms

4) Acacia Acuminata or just Acacia in general... give me any Acacia's and i'll be perfectly fine!

5) B. Caapi; screw you Syrian Rue! You beautiful seed.. i only have ten choices here.. Caapi is basically some kind of string, veggie, etc.. [Veggie in the event that my situation allows boiled/steamed Caapi vine.. with Reishi mushrooms and Paw Paw sauce.. etc)

6) Mung Beans...

7) Native American potatoes; not even sure what i'm talking about considering its multiple varieties.. but their rare and probably will increase my odds..

8) Pizza tree's; as in tree's that grow pizzas willynilly with books too. (its a GMO)

9) Oyster Mushrooms (in a lab; not quite too fond of doing so with dirt.. could be anything in that dirt..)

10) Blueberries.

I hope i don't die... Plus theres always scavenging; sure unguarded someone will omnom on my stuff... but hopefully they've read my "plant seeds; don't eat them... more seeds equals more supplies guys...) signs..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:45:44 AM by Mr. seeds »
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK

I'd also really hope I wouldmt live where I do now in this situation xD my property is honestly terrible for growing things.

Use protective gear... start a recycling ecological system... Use aloooot of analysis regarding everything; get to know the local why's, how's, and make something out of the here and now :D You will truthfully need some weeds... as in alot of weed variety plants such as cattail... and reeds.. etc.. Things built to filter; but even then if the dirt is poisonous you might need air filters.. and maybe even help.. aaand people need to be on the same page regarding ecology... also, you'll need to learn how to read your body signals regarding whether or not things are bad for you and whether or not youre absorbing something bad from your skin or from breathing; etc. lots of ways to clean up the ground system.. :D Plus lots of ways to use old dirt thats otherwise useless... (container planting! make some mud; use a few containers and take dried clumps of dirt and just add water and then hope that nothing toxic or no epidemics are being released... that or contact your local EPA, environmentalists, friends, scientists, etc... whoever you think can apply all these issues and such and manage them without killing us all..)

AAALSO ... pro tip... dirt is.. well.. gunk. years and years and years and years and more years and more years of gunk... plants, dead bodies, dead skin cells and what-not... all these things overtime just turn into dust and become soil. Your area probably needs more tree's... above all things. Tree's eventually come to fall.. which eventually come to rot... which eventually come to grow a forest :D

In the very, very, very, very, very old days... back when humanity was just beginning; did you know that we would have a farm and then a few forests; it was like the "natural" jungles we can still visit now.. it wasn't like a mangrove or miles upon miles upon miles of wilderness.. we would have a plot of land and then small forests where we'd  make these different things.. we'd also find different things; miraculously.

We'd find all these species and plants we didn't even know existed but we just kept mining... thats one thing we've always done; mine for materials... my perspective is that this is very, very necessary for the longterm survival of us all considering this creates caves and all these things; they of course will develop naturally.. but again, with careful consideration we can do anything that we put our minds to.

I ask that we all consider these things.. we are in that survival situation and there might just come a day when there are those big storms.. some of us are not prepared.. so, care for each other. Its even a little like a bribe... kind of.. yes and no; its more than a bribe; an alliance. And i think these things are good; and we can make them work even when one doesn't necessarily own or belong to any given alliance.. etc..

Some thoughts! I encourage more of them
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:20:22 AM by Mr. seeds »
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...