Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mourning thread for the victims in Orlando FL - LGBT Pride  (Read 7536 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
Mourning thread for the victims in Orlando FL - LGBT Pride
« on: June 14, 2016, 03:09:00 AM »

Yesterday was one of the worst mass shootings to ever occur in the U.S. ... 49 people have died and 53 are injured. The shooting was carried out with an assault rifle at a gay bar; the man who committed the shooting was killed as well.

I want to make a thread to mourn for the dead and to pay respects. This is a massive loss... This is debilitating. It's such a massive waste of life. I'm so sorry that it happened, R.I.P. to those who died yesterday... You aren't forgotten <3 LGBT pride

I'm going to share some reporting on it. Another shooting almost happened in LA at another LBGT event but was stopped in time. I don't think i have the video to that but i'll try to find it.

life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: Mourning thread for the victims in Orlando FL - LGBT Pride
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:52:17 AM »

I understand the need to mourn, but I think the more we publicize things like this the more it will encourage future attacks. It's sort of like how they don't show streakers during MLB games. If they did, A LOT more people would do it. Sure it still happens, but people don't get the publicity, so not many do. It may be not the best example, but it puts out the general gist of my point.

Terrorism can only be terrorism if fear and pain is put into the hearts of others. If a terrorist act only effected those who are directly attacked, it would cease to be terrorism.

Such a sad tragedy what happened. RIP to those who died and my condolences to those who lost someone.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »

I disagree. Bieng informed hopefully creates awareness. Fear is for those unwilling to analytically and fairly adress an issue. Thhs individual was not a terrorist, he was very sick. Il informed, uneducated and abused. We cannot blame him, only ourselves. We must create opportunities to address mental illness in this country. Were all in this together. May our consciousness expand, and our actions to reflect it. Pray all their souls find peace.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:36:28 PM »

From what I've read "the Islamic state" is claiming credit for the attack and the shooter was investigated for terrorism related things twice in the past.

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »

I found a really interesting perspective on terrorism from a former CIA undercover officer.

More information on the shooting is coming out as the story unfolds. I feel like this is just a massive loss for everyone because it's going to lead to more hate. God forbid someone decides to go to some random mosque to do the same thing to completely unconnected and random people for being Muslim...

We need to change things. There needs to be much better gun control and we can't keep this homophobic mentality where we don't see LGBT community members as people. We can't keep picking out "the other" and attacking them... an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »

Not to derail the thread, but what exactly do you mean by gun control? I'm a very strong believer that our right to bear arms shouldn't be infringed.

Better sceening for crazies is one thing, but denying sane law abiding citizens their ability to protect themselves from others and/or the govn't is a very bad move. Especially with how things our now with the government stripping away our freedoms left and right.

Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »

I agree. A well trained professional with a firearm can save lives. I cherish my right to arm myself. It's such a touchy issue. Weapons are for killing people. Period. Even if you take the firearm away the intent  for deranged individuals to kill still exists. So what keeps someone from making homemade explosives?
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

mr.miyagi

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 10
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »

It was indeed a terrible thing that took place in Orlando.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 06:47:06 PM »

Such a sad tragedy what happened. RIP to those who died and my condolences to those who lost someone.

I think that the above is about the best that can be said and reflects my thinking as well.

Everything else mentioned in the thread that follows that quote is also important to discuss.  However, seems a bit out of place to discuss in conjunction with a particular event. 

This tragedy among many other are symptoms of growing pains of humanity.  Some feel the effects more than others but we are all harmed.  Humanity will either learn from these lessons or ultimately destroy itself.  Not condemning just opining.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Botanicus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +163
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »

I'm just sick of this shit....

All you "good gun owners" are part of the problem. Fuck you and your paranoid fantasies of being the good guy with a gun, and second amendment "rights" that somehow supersede everyone else's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Death machines have no place in a civilized society, and if you think that you and  your pea-shooter is going to somehow stop the govn't with the most advanced military in existence from making you a grease spot in an instant, think again.
"We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden"

mr.miyagi

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 10
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »

I think this about sums it up.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:59:23 PM by mr.miyagi »

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »

I'm just sick of this shit....

All you "good gun owners" are part of the problem. Fuck you and your paranoid fantasies of being the good guy with a gun, and second amendment "rights" that somehow supersede everyone else's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Death machines have no place in a civilized society, and if you think that you and  your pea-shooter is going to somehow stop the govn't with the most advanced military in existence from making you a grease spot in an instant, think again.

Whoa!  Why all the attitude?  You're entitled to your opinion (even though I also think you are wrong), but there's no need for profanity and a hostile attitude towards your fellow seedians.   :)

With regard to the advanced military, tell it to Afghanistan, and the populace here is way better armed.  Still, the topic of guncontrol really doesn't belong in this thread.  What happened is tragic and we're all saddened by it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:03:23 PM by danzick »

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 10:45:43 PM »

Enough members have voiced in the shout box that this type of discussion seems better suited for somewhere else, and I tend to agree.

I think we all agree that loss of life like this is a tragedy and we have empathy with the victims.

But it's nearly impossible to keep the divisive issues and viewpoints separate, so this thread is being locked.