Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: hydro, aquarium?  (Read 5652 times)

greengingers

• everything is a machine! throbbing with energy
hydro, aquarium?
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »

Oka. So I have an idea 2 grow hydro in an aquarium that I want 2 start up.

The idea I have is- if marine plant-life is added 2 a balanced amount of like-fish.. In ofcourse, a scaled tank.. Would there not b nutrition constantly present 4 say.. Hydro possibility? Fresh water ofcourse..

Any ideas? Or is nt possible?

Also wat do u think would work as a beginners try? Regards to which plant to grow, which kind of system to set-up in the tank.

See also I tend to, indoor especially, miniature/ cut-back to have that small bush kind feel.. So even trees for bonsai.. Hydro bonsai in an aquarium.. Awesome!

Yeah.. Just a thought I want to maybe try out.

Peace!
We are all just spinning

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: hydro, aquarium?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »

Aquaponics

Normally it is used for a large scale hydro farm but you should be able to scale down the standard design to fit your needs. Most of the hydro farms here stopped using nutrient solutions about ten years ago. The fish holding tanks provide all the nutrients needed for the crops and they get the added bonus of selling the fish when the tanks are too full.

Next time I visit one of the farms I will take some pics and post them.
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Psyguy

• Trading Score: +1
  • Just a bush baby growing and learning
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »

Exactly what nobody said.  The hydroponics store I frequent has an aquaponic display set up. Things you need to consider are the size of the tank (amount of water to hold for both fish and plants) and maintenance (cleaning, feeding etc.).  If you are just beginning I would probably keep things very simple.  The display in the store had a very large reservoir that took up valuable space.  Either way its a great way to grow and simulates the natural cycle. 

If you decide to give it a shot I would suggest you start a grow log.  I would definitely tune in.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:19:06 PM by Psyguy »

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »

Aquaponics is fascinating stuff. For a few introductory reads, I'm leaving here the issue #1 of the specialized magazine Backyard Aquaponics, since this first edition can be downloaded for free in their website.

Definitely let us know about your progress.

Mandrake

greengingers

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

Thanx guys! I am keen 2 try it out. I actually never realised that aquaponics was a legitimate thing!! Real suprised there!! Anyway, yeah I just started a hobby in fish keeping. Like JUST! So.. I am super keen 2 try this kind of technique.. I mean it could b a valuable skill 2 have..

Thanx 4 the confidence boost!
Peace
We are all just spinning

greengingers

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »

So there r actually farms that deal with this kind of tech? That's pretty amazing! @nobody.. What are they using it 4? I could imagine something like a community effort 4 low cost veggies or something like 2 that degree? Haha! Pretty good idea tho!
We are all just spinning

greengingers

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »

Lol guys I'm still gettin used 2 this forum thing!

We are all just spinning

greengingers

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »

So I did some research!! And there exists!!! Several techniques that can be used for aquaponics.. I have chosen the tech described as Deep Water Culture and as the name sugests, basically the plant is held in the tank holding the fish.. Ofcourse problem: roots.. So I'd like 2 try as I read here at sts.. Hydro peri?

As a start ill b using styrafoam to float the clone in the water.. I have the tank near a window so that shall b the source of light for the plant..

Has any1 gt some suggestions for me? Or tips?

Peace peeps
We are all just spinning

Specialty

• Whats up team?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17:04 AM »

There are several types of gardens that you can use deep water culture in my friend. Again all depends on size. I have a post coming up (im just peicing it together) that you can easily adapt into an aquaponics adventure. In BIG set ups they tend too use somewhat of an above ground pool with tilapia type fish these setups also run for about a month or two before any plants are introduced to provide that the nitrogen levels are deadly if not left to say adjust in the water. I currently done have one of these set ups but I have a friend who owns an aqua culture/pond shop and they swear by it. They tend to use tilipa type fish because they are also a source of food once big enough (may I add they are tasty aswell) if you have any further questions feel free too shoot me a msg dude I shall gladly help you with any future grow setup endeavors