Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fast-Climbing Vines  (Read 8021 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Fast-Climbing Vines
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »

Some time ago I was trying to find a vine to cover a fence and also  for shade, this are some of the fast-Growing Perennial Vines I've found. This perennial vines are rampant, vigorous plants that quickly cover a structure fairly quickly.

Coral honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) Zones 4-9

Throughout this perennial's long bloom time, from mid-June through September, its trumpet-shaped blossoms can perfume your entire garden. Coral honeysuckle will twine around anything in its path, scaling a 10- to 15-foot trellis in a single season, and attract hummingbirds as well.

Sweet autumn clematis (Clematis terniflora) Zones 4-9

A very vigorous clematis, this vine doesn't just grow tall (up to 30 feet in a few months); it also grows wide, ensuring full coverage. Consider its tiny white flowers, which bloom in late summer and early fall, a bonus.

Hops (Humulus lupulus) Zones 4-8

Best known as a key beer ingredient, the hop vine brings good taste to a garden, too. In mid to late summer, its large leaves are joined by chartreuse cones (borne only on female plants) that deliver as much drama as any flower. Plus, this baby can climb 12 inches per day, topping out at around 25 feet.

Moonflower (Ipomoea alba) Annual

A night-blooming species of morning glory, this plant features fragrant white flowers that open from sundown to sunup, midsummer to early autumn—you can literally watch them unfurl at dusk. While the vine reaches heights of more than 15 feet, you'll want to sow several to achieve the lush effect above.

Hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab) Annual

Though this bean is considered an edible in parts of Africa and Asia, American gardeners tend to prize it for purely ornamental reasons: With dark leaves, midsummer blossoms, and bean pods come fall, the annual offers three to four months' worth of interest, during which it can shoot up 10 to 15 feet.

Vitis Vinifera Vigorous Climbing Grape

Vitis vinifera, Purpurea, is good vine for colorful fall foliage. This woody deciduous climber has graceful purple leaves which turn red in autumn for a fiery foliage display. Vines bears clusters of tiny, edible blue black grapes.

Chocolate vine (Akebia quinata) zones 4 -8

A deciduous perennial vine that rapidly grows to a length of 20 to 40 feet. The small, brownish-purple flowers and 4-inch purple seed pods are often hidden among the dense vegetation, but you’ll enjoy the fragrance whether you can see the flowers or not. Chocolate vines spread very quickly and scramble over anything in their path. They need regular pruning to keep the growth under control. Grow chocolate vine in sun or shade in USDA zones 4 through 8.

Trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans)  zones 4- 9

The vines grow to 25 to 40 feet in length and bear large clusters of orange or red, trumpet-shaped flowers that hummingbirds find irresistible. The vines prefer full sun or partial shade and are hardy in USDA zones 4 through 9.

Not so fast development  but with a great scent Im growing:
Star Jasmine  Wisteria Sinensis and some climbing roses

Can you name others?
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
Re: Fast-Climbing Vines
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:23:27 AM »

Caapi (Banisteriopsis spp.) is a fast growing vine, with a beautifull bloom, pink flowers turns white (or inverse). Perenial

Ololiuqui is a fast growing with a marvellous white bloom. Perenial

HBWR is wonderfull lilac flower, fast growing liana - Perenial

Many Bignoniaceae are fast growing vines, amazing flowers (many different flower color) - Perenial

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 01:33:53 AM »

Passiflora sp. and morning glories can grow pretty fast once they're established.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »

Rivea corymboa - I will add  pic of mine later.
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

teonanocatl

• Trading Score: +28
  • ashes in the riiver, I step into the flow.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:40:33 AM »

such a great list, i love vines, vines are good fer yarr
dont worry, B. Caapi.

MirlitonVine

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:48:59 AM »

I have to agree the HBWR is a really fast growing vine. Online, I've read quite a few times that they're slow growers. Idk what those people were doing. I planted my seeds exactly one year ago in a large black plastic pot, then once it twined up the bamboo pole I gave it (which took about 2 or 3 weeks), I cut the bottom of the pot off and planted it with the pot sticking halfway out of the ground.

This pic is from today, the large stems are last years growth, the leaves are from the past 2 weeks or so.

The Passion flower growing just to the left and in front of the HBWR is a passiflora mortifolia (woodland passionflower). It is also a remarkably fast grower.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:52:32 AM by MirlitonVine »

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 06:47:44 AM »

Love me some vines. What about non magic vines? I would love to have some houseplants that trail and add character to the ceiling and walls.

MirlitonVine

• Trader
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »

Love me some vines. What about non magic vines? I would love to have some houseplants that trail and add character to the ceiling and walls.

Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata). It climbs via adhesive, so it sticks to walls. It's very nice looking, and it's medicinal. I'll post a pic of mine tomorow.

sporehead

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 03:46:30 AM »

Wow that's a gorgeous plant. I love the flowers. I'm not sure how I'd 've around the wall damage though. I'm sure there's a way. Look forward to your pics!

MirlitonVine

• Trader
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:55 AM »

Here's mine

sporehead

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 04:32:20 AM »

Cool. Thanks for sharing. How old?

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »

Queens wreath is an amazing fast-growing vine that has purple to blue flowers that cascade down in nice bunches. Big gnarly woody vines.

pureandeasy

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:22 AM »

The loofah plant is another great fast-growing vine to add to the list. It is an annual and produces a lot of sponge gourds you can use in the bath or for washing dishes! I have plenty of seeds from this year's batch if anyone is interested in growing some :D

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »

The craziest vine I've ever had is Melothria scabra (Mouse melon).
Unlike other vines which usually only have one growing tip, this plant shoots MANY growing tips in every direction and grabs anything she can and spread like crazy.
It reminds me of the evil creepy vines in fiction horror movies.
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.