Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Radium's "Zombie Fart Maker" (Anaerobic composter)  (Read 7928 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Re: Radium's "Zombie Fart Maker" (Anaerobic composter)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »

It's starting to smell military grade horrible.
I added a handful of finished compost to it, which I remember adding pigeon shit to it last year.

I do also like to read about the microbiology of it.
It only does me good.

BTW, you said there might be oxygen inside the container mixed with methane, which will cause it to explode if any flame/spark is introduced.
BUT, wouldn't the aerobic microbes continue to live as long as there's still oxygen in the tank, thus eventually turning all the oxygen into CO2 ?
Drowning the biomass with water up to the surface will leave little room for oxygen, this it will finish very soon.
But an expandable/vacuumed gas storage container like a balloon will be needed, since there'll be no room for gas buildup without one.

I prepared 4 batches filled with different materials.
The smaller ones are veggies and bread.
The medium one is my own fresh ahem, organic product...
The bigger one is compost mixed with a large amount of powdered old legumes and grains, and also maize hay.

The drowned ones win at gas production hands down any day as pictured.
But water should be added no more than 1/4 of the biomass height, or the trapped bubbles will push the biomass into the balloon.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:22:23 AM by Uranium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »

So the way how oxygen would be introduced: It would come in with ambient air when you pack this(lets assume a container with no light and thus no algeae). I dont think there will be an organism in there which uses oxygen which still means it will stay present IMO which means you'll have to vent of the first batch of gas if you dont want a messy boom.

Maybe you could think about running at least two, and when you pack a new one, you want to flush all air out of it with gas from the old one, so dont drown in water but gas.

Uh and dude youre contradicting yourself :D Anaerobic organisms to live as long as there is oxygen... I highly suspect they need any oxygen :) or use some of it, thats why I think whatever oxygen is in there stays in there.

I guess this is all well researched ans published somewhere online in the context of commercial biogas plants.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:44:34 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 04:19:01 PM »

No no no don't get me wrong.
When the batch is packed, there's both aerobic and anaerobic microbes trying to make a living there.
At the beginning both of them are active.

However the aerobic ones will eventually use up all the available oxygen and run out of it, so they can't breath anymore and they decline to zero after this point.

The anaerobic ones however, will keep living as the sole survivor and continue to break things down and produce flammable gases.
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »

Sounds legit, not proven unless we have any clues or data of what is in there originally but yeah. Anyways, the first time you try this / or every batch I would still suggest you want to seperate a small amount of gas and make the "boom-gas-test", like, do you get a flame where your gas in a bottle or test tube meets ambient air, or do you get a nice *whoooooop* and your whole test tube was aflame shortly.
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »

Ja it doesn't hurt.
Better to be safe than sorry...
Pages: 1 [2]