Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Radium's "Zombie Fart Maker" (Anaerobic composter)  (Read 7929 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Radium's "Zombie Fart Maker" (Anaerobic composter)
« on: June 10, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »

Hello,
Rotting biomass put inside plastic bags causes a lot of problems:
  • No control over the release of horrible smells
  • Leakage of stinky juice on the platform
  • Sometimes the bags just explode due to sheer pressure built inside by the gas
I'm thinking about designing a anaerobic system which eliminates the said issues.
The basic idea is putting the biomass inside any plastic bottle (bigger = better), put a hole using a needle in the lid, and close the lid tight, then connect an air balloon as an air-lock to the lid, to collect any gas that is being produced.

Once the balloon is totally bloated, it's time to get rid of the gas by one of these two methods:
  • Simply release all the gas at a well ventilated area.
  • Use the "EARTH CHILLER" system to turn methane of it into CO2 [Prevents global warming]
EARTH CHILLER is nothing but a piece of very narrow metal pipe where one end is equipped with a tap.
You must connect the balloon to the open end of the pipe, place a flame in front of the tap, and open the tap, to burn all of the releasing gas.
Be careful to not burn yourself or other stuff, the flame can be very violent and big depending on the balloon size and fullness.

The benefits of using ZOMBIE FART MAKER:
  • Produces compost faster than any aerobic system, since all the biomass is digested into a rotting pulp and degrades rapidly.
  • No digging/turning is needed at all, just leave it alone and come back later to claim your black gold.
  • Absolutely no gas/juice leakage
  • Cool geeky looks
  • Totally Environment friendly
  • Apartment friendly [You can even use it inside your bedroom]
Tip: the system works much much faster if you drown all of most of the biomass inside the bottle in water.

I will build one prototype soon and publish pictures.
I plan to use a 5 gallon water bottle.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:06:00 PM by Uranium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Uranium's "Zombie Fart Maker" (Anaerobic composter)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »

Us an IBC container, since "bigger is better". Consider using a siphon style "air lock" to let gas put and no air in.

But uhm, If I just pile up everything in my garden on a huge pile, wouldnt the conditions in there be considered anerobic, at least for everything thats not more or less "on the surface" ?
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

Re: Radium's "Zombie Fart Maker" (Anaerobic composter)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »

Thanks for the tips, I will consider them when building the prototype!

Sure you can just pile a big heap, but it will stink, release methane into air [which its greenhouse effect is many times more than CO2], and obviously, you cannot have a compost heap in an apartment or urban building.

ZFM can be safely used anywhere, even inside your bedroom!
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »

My compost piles dont stink ? When I break through the fresh layers it smells like hay does when it gets hot as it works and in the deeper layers its just pure perfect compost smell.

But yeah indoors compost :D maybe consider a community compost :) the water trap will release gasses in the air if you dont put a baloon on top and btw I think you'll habe trouble getting the 1x1x1 m IBC container inside, at least your girl will mock it.
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »

You're very lucky then.
I threw some maize foilage into my open compost tub, and I turn it completely everyday, but still it stinks like a zombie skunk's arse.

I guess it's better to divide the device into two variations, a lite, and a pro.
The lite version will be very easy and cheap to make, but more maintenance needing.
The pro version is a bit harder and more expensive to make, but it reduces maintenance very well.

=======
=======

Lite version:

Just an airballoon connected to a container, and you have to remove the balloon and get rid of the gases periodically (or else the balloon might explode).

Cons & Pros:
  • If the device is in your bedroom, it's easy to carry a balloon full of gases into the yard to release the gases.
  • cheap
  • easy construction
  • Suitable for indoors small scale composting
  • more work during maintenance
=======

Pro version:

Any BIGGG container equipped with a balloon/barometer and also a metal valve on the lid.
The other end of the valve must be connected to a very narrow metal pipe, to eliminate chances of explosion.
The only maintenance is placing a flame in front of the valve, and open it.

Cons & Pros:
  • The gas can be fed to a compressor for storing into a can for using as fuel [got any ideas on how to do it?]
  • Awesome Steampunk looks [Especially if you paint it metallic copper or brass color]
  • Suitable for large scale outdoors composting
  • Less maintenance [Just watch the balloon/barometer to see if there's too much gas, open the valve, and please your inner pyromaniac kid  ;)
  • Hard to move, and thus hard to operate indoors (unless you accept the risk of burning the gases indoors, or use a long hose to transport the gases outdoors]
  • Harder construction
  • More expensive
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:06:38 PM by Uranium »

Radium

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »

I'm making an instructable out of it for better formatting.

http://www.instructables.com/id/ZOMBIE-FART-MAKER-Anaerobic-composter/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:48:41 PM by Uranium »

chamomeleon

• Trading Score: +31
  • I have a fever...... and the only cure is more cacti
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »

If I turn on the news, and I see "Mysterious Explosion in Iran: Are Zombie Farts to Blame?"  I will know exactly who the culprit is  ;D ;D ;D
There was a young lass from Madras
Who had a magnificent ass
It was not round and pink
as you might think
But had ears and a tail, and ate grass.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »

wont need a metal valve, at 1 athmosphere pressure differential almost every plastic container will probable end up spherical or blown whilst at such low pressure anything will do as releif, plastic / teflon valve even a clamped or plugged hose maybe a wine bottle thingie stuck in ?

I hear plastic isnt good for us for several reasons, will it be in in the plant ? But were all exposed anyways.
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »

If I turn on the news, and I see "Mysterious Explosion in Iran: Are Zombie Farts to Blame?"  I will know exactly who the culprit is  ;D ;D ;D
Actually, two weeks ago all of my hair was set on fire when something went wrong during distilling gasoline.
I immidately wrapped my whole head into a tick towel and after enduring a few seconds of pain, the danger was gone.
Fortunately my face/scalp is not damaged.
I just had to shave my head entirely, because it looked like a wheat field after burning the remaining hay.
It was my second disastererous experience with gasoline and distilling.

The first one was when I was standing in front of a glass balloon full of boiling gasoline on the stovetop (well, the balloon was placed inside the kettle, to create a water bath and regulate the temp).
Suddenly the condenser adapter became loose and boiling gasoline did shoot into the ceiling at speed of light, I was totally shocked and frozen, after a few seconds I said WTF why am I still alive? why it didn't explode? I looked under the kettle, only to see the stovetop flame was put off before the incident by the wind coming through the open window.
It was the 11th time I escaped death.
And this makes it 12 times.
Will my arse finally get kicked at the 13th time?  :-\

wont need a metal valve, at 1 athmosphere pressure differential almost every plastic container will probable end up spherical or blown whilst at such low pressure anything will do as releif, plastic / teflon valve even a clamped or plugged hose maybe a wine bottle thingie stuck in ?

I hear plastic isnt good for us for several reasons, will it be in in the plant ? But were all exposed anyways.

I recommended a metal valve and pipe because plastic ones might heat up & melt by the burning flame.
And extreme care must be taken when choosing the pipe, and when assembling the device.
The pipe (used as the flame muzzle) must be extremely narrowed down, by putting a cork or similar stuff inside it, and then poking a pin hole on the cork.
Anything bigger than a pin hole, and you might have a shitty (literally) explosion, which causes the entire block to smell like a zombie slaughter field using Panzerschrecks.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »

Uhm wait I thought you wanna store the gas or attach to a gas stove ? You would just need a biiiig container with good pressure to get some decent cooking done, obviously the gas must have certain purity. I would be carefull, if attempting to do anything like that since your shitty explosion will not occur when your outlet pipe is bigger or smaller, it will occur when you dont dump a lot of gas too athmosphere first, since initially you have lots of oxygen in there, if you now produce certain amount of flamable gas you will end up with an ignitable gas mix, now even a smallest hole will serve as a fuse to make your bomb go woooosh instantly. You should be able to "test" it first if you have a pipe from the container in that order: valve, t-piece with baloon, valve. If you now open the valve close to the container you inflate the baloon with the gas thats to be tested, close it as soon your baloon is decent, open the other valve and ignite there, either your baloon goes pop -> oxygen present, or you get a decent burn.

I am used to pressure relieve valves for industrial means that are very simple: you have the outlet, a plunger goes in, across it goes a bar with a pivot point on one end and a sliding weight at the other end, as th weight is slid along and fixed in a place on the bar the lever's length changes and with it the opening pressure, easy reliable and adjustable :)
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Thanks man!
You're putting newer ideas bit by bit by every post you make!
I'm sure someday soon (once I move out into a beautiful sub-urban area) I will construct a BIIIGGG device, able to provide fuel to my entire house (it will be a HUGE house, with garage, stable, greenhouse, everything!) even at winters, and will just cancel my city pipe-gas subscription.

I will also design it in a way to make harvesting compost like a charm (Perhaps 20 or more 1 cubic meter containers linked with big pipes placed in a row? and filled one after another, and thus also harvested one after another like that)

I will buy cheap biomass, and turn it into fuel and gold.
The fuel I'll use myself, and the excess compost I will sell.

Radium

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 10:32:05 PM »

Let's do an experiment.
I filled two water bottles with equal amounts of biomass (cabbages, bread, hot compost).
Drowned one of them in water, while leaving the other one as it is.
Then put balloons on the bottles.
I will stipe them in identical temperature and light.
Let's see which one will produce more gases in the shortest time, indicating a faster decomposing rate.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »

Youre really into decay arent you ? :D
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 11:03:01 PM »

Yup, fires, explosives, and decaying/stinky stuff are my favorite hobbies.
I just LOVVVE that stuff  :D
My favorite non-lethal weapon/prank is the concentrated, putrescine/cadaverine rich stink molotov.

I torched our house when recreationally rotating red hot Aluminum wool over my head violently.
When you do that, red hot sparks shoot in all directions, making a fantastic fireworks show.
Unfortunately, I was 4 years old, and didn't know the carpet and window covers will be set on fire upon doing the show indoors.
I was home alone that day, locked in house, because I was so trouble making they didn't like the idea of me wandering around the block when they were gone.

I got bored, and found some aluminum wool which mom used to wash dishes.
I remembered the scene I just had seen 2 months ago in the ancient Persian annual crazy fireworks ceremony, where a badass 20yo dude was doing it in the street, and all people were keeping their distance and watching him in awe like he was a hero.
I said OK, here's the wool and matches, let's play!

I did that and sparks began spreading everywhere, causing a systemic fire impossible for me to suppress, there was fire in every corner around me.
The dining room was torched and I managed to go into the toilet because I knew there was a powerful water hose (but didn't knew anything about ventilation back then, which the toilet had two big in/out fans! one sucking dirty air out, while another pulling fresh air inside from the special canal coming from rooftop).

Anyway, I kept calling neighbors, and to my luck, the toilet ventilation canal was shared between different floors, thus they called the fire department, but the neighbors didn't dare to break the door and rescue me, fearing they would be asked to pay for the door later.
Anyway, fire dept came, rescued me, and put off the fire.
When I told the story to the firedept captain, he totally got suspicious of my mental health, thinking I'm kinda retarded to do such an obviously dangerous stuff.

Almost all of our appliances, and the entire furniture, plus the wall painting, was burned pretty well.
Dad kept me on the floor, sat on my chest, locked my arms under his legs, and slap me 40 times.
He locked my arms because I used to block slaps using my hands.
Anyway, later it was proven that 40 slaps was not enough, I kept doing unusual stuff, I was just crazy and they got used to it eventually.

Some years later I shot a hay barn while at a vacation using the bow and fire arrows I just had made, inspired by western Apache movies.
I was just testing the stuff to see its effectiveness  :-X
I voluntarily admitted the deed when heard hay isn't useless trash, but valuable livestock food.
Dad paid all the damage costs, and forced me to eat an entire bulb of raw garlic.
I'm absolutely sorry about the actions I did in childhood.  :(

But before that happened, I shot the fire arrows indoors.
After just building the stuff, I went into parent's bedroom, jumped on the bed and bounced crazy like a mad Indian before shooting 3 fire arrows to the ceiling. (was locked in home again, just made the bow, and was eager to test it ASAP).
Next morning, mom woke-up screaming and running around crazy.
Poor woman thought the black arrow impact marks were big venomous spiders.

Both mom and dad said they believed in talking to kids for teaching them manners, and using non-violent punishments.
But after I was born, their minds was changed...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:58:04 PM by Uranium »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 12:11:11 AM »

Found one with translation: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8iVzM1ozKz8 :D but it isnt the best one could do, makes it appear as if a translation was a very efficient way of turning poetry to text.
But I think we dont want this forum to cover things like "hey how can I make mooooaarr PETN in one batch" so yeah :)

Do you know which organisms it is mostly that will do the work in the conditions you will create in the bottles ? What if your bottles turn out Sauerkraut with a special hint, or Kimchi with a little compost note to it ? :D  I really wonder, lets say you have active yeast and lactobacillus in there you'll be putting out CO2, something must make the methane, probably the same as in every bio-gas plant... is it the same that does it in us ? ... talk about starters ... :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:42:41 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: [1] 2