Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Composting for LIFE!  (Read 14981 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Re: Composting for LIFE!
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »

Why do you change both parameters in the theoretical "observation" ?

Well your kitchen scraps arent bone dry so both come with water and both will decompose.

The bottle will first go round and later burst, most likely.

Yeah both contain moisture and decompose.
You mean even the container made of panzer plate will burst eventually?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »

Most likely not, The question would have to be "whats the pressure achievable" , I dont think you can make anything burst that way, there sure is a limit when the conditions dont allow further decomposition by some means.
Praise is mandatory.

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 12:36:42 AM »

In my new place, I will most likely have no place to perform even the slightest smelly composting.
So the only option is picking PET bottles, filling them with stuff, and close the lid HARD, and hope to get compost.
But I guess the activity of ANY type of organism inside the bottle will totally STOP after awhile, and there remains semi-digested stuff, waiting for the lid to open and let some fresh air in, to continue the digestion process.
The use of sealed PET bottles as a means of avoiding a smelly compost is not likely to have a successful outcome for you.  The sealed environment with in the bottle will produce some of the foulest smelling "compost" possible.  Are you looking to use this compost? Or simply produce if for the sake of experimentation then dispose of it?  If your goal is to produce a useable compost that does not smell you are going to have to do so in a high oxygen environment, use worms, or employ bokashi as previously mentioned.  Even these have some odor, though what is considered "smelly" and what is considered "not smelly" is a subjective opinion.

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »

I've made oxygen-less compost before, sure it smells nasty raw, but leave it to dry and stay in sun for a week, and all the smell will be gone for good, then moisten it and use happily.
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]