Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What could always be.. !  (Read 2173 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
What could always be.. !
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »

Imagine a world where every Syrian Rue seed.. is grown into a plant...

Ohh, so basically instead of having food we get rampant overpopulation, mutations, and eventually in post-appocalyptic theory ya also get imbreeding... i think.. is that how plants work? Do plants imbreed?

OMG what if imbred people are just plants, animals, and mushrooms????? ha. joking..

Seriously though; what do you guys think, say in examples what a plants history and culture would look like if it was given more chances in life? Specifically I am wondering about stuff like Salvia Divinorum and T. iboga and similar plants with issues regarding reproduction and well... plants that are sadly over harvested in their native habitat..
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: What could always be.. !
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 03:37:54 AM »

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: What could always be.. !
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:40:54 AM »

Maybe this thread can be rescued:

Seeds. Seeds are abundant. Flora in general is not limited by its reproductive capacity but by habitat. Most seeding plants, being unable to move itself or place seeds in desirable locations, produce way more seeds than there will be offsprings. They will, by chance, end up in a better or worse location and compete with each other and other species. What would be if every Syrian Rue seed ...? Syrian rue apocalypse, end of diversity and famines.

More chances. I think the issue is the underlying asumption, that chances are 'given'. Ehich is not. Our human and egocentric understanding of giving often if not always implies a human act. But in fact chances and odds just are. They are not given, as they cant be taken either, they just are and if we feel they were given or taken we actually wittness manifestation of chances. Just like some plants are not here anymore and some have not been here yet the plants that are simply are the way they are and are as many as they are. An alternate or fictional version of a present state holds little to no value in discussions to me, it is speculations based on speculations and in the end all those speculations can be proven wrong.

Lastly: Inbreeds. I wonder if any implications can be drawn from such strong fascination that becomes obvious when the topic is brought up in a forced manner and mostly unrelated :D BTW: Inbreeding does not do any harm, many plants even self fertilize for generations. Even healthy mamal populations do not suffer from inbreeding, it only increases the odds of unhealthy predispositions to show and be severe.

I like what we have in flora, I like the diversity, I like some plants being rare, others abundant, I'd not find more joy in flora if everything was ubiquitous. Given a state that has manifested itself maybe you should not question history or past but future, maybe one could speculate how certain plants future will be and if we find little comfort in our speculation we should figure out what to do avout it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:43:46 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.