Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: First Cacti Germination Attempt Advice  (Read 3125 times)

Convergence

First Cacti Germination Attempt Advice
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:35:47 AM »

Ive tried sowing seed for the first time, mostly trichocereus and lophophora but a few others also. Ive done the takeaway tek but with thicker tupperware-like comtainers that I drilled a few holes in the bottom. Going by the advice of Hanazono from the AusCactiForum I used a seed mix of 2 part seed raising soil (sieved) 2 part zeolite (1mm), 1 part course sand, 1 part gravel (1mm). I did mist sprayed the soil mix and nuked it for 4 minutes in the microwave. After it cooled I sowed the seeds by placing/sprinkling and they fall between the 1mm grains and didnt need a top dressing. Then put under lights with a heat mat, the container sits inside another container that is acting as a drip tray and also to put a little distance from the heat mat.

Its been 2 and a half days since sowing now and I still see condensation forming beads on the top of the containers, but its starting to look like less condensation. Still no germination yet, but its early days. Im worried about it drying out though since the condensation is gradually getting less, but its still wet and i can see beads of water in the soilmix when i look through the side of the container.

My question is when and how do I water? I dont want to contaminate the containers by opening them, but i could open them and mist a few times with distilled water. Also I could bottom water through the drip tray but i dont want to drown them.

heres some pics

[image]/forums/thumbs/15-32/894160325-thumb_image.jpg[/image]
This is the container within a container as drip tray setup.

[image]/forums/thumbs/15-32/894160153-thumb_image.jpg[/image]
Initial setup

[image]/forums/thumbs/15-32/894160181-thumb_image.jpg[/image]
More containers

[image]/forums/thumbs/15-32/894160217-thumb_image.jpg[/image]
This shows the beads of water in the soil mix today.

[image]/forums/thumbs/15-32/894160252-thumb_image.jpg[/image]
The trichocereus has more condensation day 2, Looks nice and humid, lots of moisture.

[image]/forums/thumbs/15-32/894160288-thumb_image.jpg[/image]
This is the condensation on the lophophora lid, day 2, it's losing moisture maybe... should I be worried about drying out?

Thx for the help

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: First Cacti Germination Attempt Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:20:08 AM »

Hey Convergence,

I think you're ok. All looks well to me, though there's more experienced people who might have other ideas.

Normally I'd say you need some fresh air exchange, but since you sterilized the soil you probably won't have any issues with mold.

As long as the soil looks moist and you're seeing condensation, you probably don't need to water. If you keep them sealed, that most likely will be post germination.

If the soil looks dry, misting from above is probably best. Contamination is not usually a big deal with cacti seeds, but if you do open them up and expose them, you'll probably need to start opening daily for fresh air, which combats mold/mildew, the main nemesis of cacti seeds/seedlings.

Best of luck. You may begin to see the first signs of babies in there over the next handful of days.  :)