Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Is it getting hot in here?  (Read 4588 times)

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
Is it getting hot in here?
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »

I know it's the NYtimes but I swear.. it isn't fake news :P

Earth Sets a Temperature Record for the Third Straight Year

It'll be interesting to see what 2017 holds with El Nino ending.
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
Re: Is it getting hot in here?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »

I can say, my GF and I have been talking that it's noticeably warmer than when we were children. I'm not sure where I'm at on climate change(I believe it's happening, not sure how much of it is caused by us and how much would happen anyway.) but I can say I feel like I've noticed much warmer average winter temperatures than 10-15 years ago. Obviously this is anecdotal, but I really do feel like we have more warm days, and the "really cold" days are 0-10 degrees F. I remember that being normal in January and it wasn't "really cold" until it was 5 below plus a windchill.
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »

Except it kinda is fake news...
http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/18/nyt-hid-numbers-hottest-year-record/#.WIDcMFZ_ptV.twitter

Read both and read the primary sources but an increase of .01C well within the margin of error is not "blown past" or even "trouncing" the previous year, in fact, in economics it would be labeled "statistically insignificant." 

SoulGrower

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:26:53 PM »

I'll admit that the NYtimes has there own agenda (for this article global warming exists), and it def comes through in that article.  But so does The Federalist, which sounds like they don't believe it exists.

I'm terribly confused by deniers.  And why does it seem like the deniers are always the ones that have some monetary gain.  The oil industry primarily.  Trumps cabinet picks are great examples.  Both big oil advocates and not surprisingly deniers.  Its a common thread. 

Maybe I'm not seeing the forest through the trees, but the consensus among the scientific community is that we are seeing global warming caused by humans.  Have yet to personally meet someone scientifically trained that doesn't believe that.  Maybe I'm in a forest but I don't think so.  I don't know how anyone can even suggest that there isn't a scientific consensus.  You wanna beat up on whether it is 97% or not.  Whatever.  It's an overwhelming majority.  Just get out there and talk to real scientists.

...Totally anecdotal, but I've also been saying how it 'seems' like it is hotter than when I was a kid.  I don't ever remember thinking it was too hot to be outside!  ..Really, I think its just me getting old and being spoiled having acclimated to a life of living in a/c  :P
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

SoulGrower

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:32:39 PM »

btw, i agree with the points made in thefederalist article.  And admittedly 137 years is no kind of sample for making any predictions.  But awareness should be made that we should be conscientious about protecting the environment.  It can be upsetting to see so many out there saying don't worry about it.
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:40:39 PM »

Do I feel it getting hotter ? I cant answer that one.

Truths we can not deny:
The concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere is higher than it ever was in human history.
The ozone layer has holes, reportedly they stopped growing recently. Soon we can expect them to shrink.
Sour rain is still common in many places.

Its too complex of a topic for me to fully understand, at least without putting in extensive research effort. But if we cant tell what a change might do, we better do not change it unless we are sure about the effects.

I believe there is hope, if you look at CO2 concentration charts you might get really concerned. But our flora and ecosystem as a whole can handle it, if we make the change of course. Compare a CO2 chart to, say a chart of historical lead pollution and you'll see crazy spikes are not the end of our world. The analogy sucks I must admit.

Earth can set things right again.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:40:22 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:54:42 PM »

I think it is getting warmer in my locale. Hard feezes were once commom about 2-3 times per year or more. We currently have not had a freeze in three years now.

This area used to be USDA Zone 8b. Now we are solidly 9a.

1990 USDA map: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Images/USZoneMap.jpg

Current Florida map: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/InteractiveMap.aspx

We are pretty darn efficient at systematically removing the stored carbon from beneath the earth and pumping it into the atmosphere, and it seems obvious that there has to be some consequence.

Idle speculation: Perhaps we are just the earth's way of restoring an earlier balance?
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:25 AM »

I think it is getting warmer in my locale. Hard feezes were once commom about 2-3 times per year or more. We currently have not had a freeze in three years now.

This area used to be USDA Zone 8b. Now we are solidly 9a.

Ditto!
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

There was some comedian who made a joke that we evolved to create plastic. The Earth can do everything it needs to, and is pretty obviously good at supporting itself where we don't screw things up(although when we behave properly we assist the earth in creating more life), but only humans create plastic. That's our reason for existing.

It's a funny thought, and your idle speculation comment kinda reminded me of it  Bach
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »

Missouri summers are going to be hell and the winter is starting to look more like spring or fall... fall in the "cold" of winter and spring-ish about now. I've been watering a dry field, hope that helps the place not dry out next year.. Someone needs to start pouring distilled water (i've been told chlorinated water will eat at the nutrients....) into California; would end up solving the drought problem. Missouri has one of the best springs; if only we could pipeline water; if it spills something will grow.. as long as that water is safe to drink.. and doesn't have lead in it..
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »

Asheville 2500 feet elevation right now feels like Houston did in January when I was a kid.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 12:04:24 AM »

*rescinded*
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:43:57 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 01:51:59 AM »

I'm terribly confused by deniers.  And why does it seem like the deniers are always the ones that have some monetary gain.  The oil industry primarily.  Trumps cabinet picks are great examples.  Both big oil advocates and not surprisingly deniers.  Its a common thread. 

Maybe I'm not seeing the forest through the trees, but the consensus among the scientific community is that we are seeing global warming caused by humans.  Have yet to personally meet someone scientifically trained that doesn't believe that.  Maybe I'm in a forest but I don't think so.  I don't know how anyone can even suggest that there isn't a scientific consensus.  You wanna beat up on whether it is 97% or not.  Whatever.  It's an overwhelming majority.  Just get out there and talk to real scientists.

Well, there's disease being released in the icecaps; one of them eats flesh from a random video i watched, similar to anthrax. Now that its here its a matter of time; we can only hope that out of kindness we don't see that bacteria eat the flesh of an oil lobbyist or one of their friends or family members and that instead its one of us who bare the brunt of it. Would be ironic... They didn't think about their actions affecting the world and so now the error of melting the arctic has come back to bite you... all over the skin..

That takes out my innocence and naivete
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...