Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Florida's gonna be a sinkin  (Read 6074 times)

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
Florida's gonna be a sinkin
« on: September 01, 2016, 12:22:36 AM »

We're gettin hammered with rain y'all  :o

There's literally a lake in my backyard where there used to be my garden  :-\  I'm preparing the kayak's.  If I have to grab one plant...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:23:34 AM by SoulGrower »
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Florida's gonna be a sinkin
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:39:55 AM »

Just wait until the ice caps melt...  ;D While I do enjoy Kayaking, I most certainly wouldn't want to live on one; how in the world would I be able to make enough space to fit both plants and food on such a small ship? Long story short, I'm probably going to have to relocate to the rockies within a few decades' time; living by the water is a breeze; living on the water isn't nearly as desirable.

On a distantly related note concerning the Phallic State, I found this rather cute subreddit which I can't help but incessantly laugh at because it rings oh-so-hilariously true: https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan/
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »

If this does happen I just wonder how climate is going to change. While I do want a more tropical climate in this zone 5b, I don't want to see families hurt.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:18:43 AM by nikshaz »
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »

You dont have that long to wait... downtown miami is expected to be underwater in 50 to 70 years. It is already flooding at high tide
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:27:21 PM by Chicsa »

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 01:46:33 AM »

You dont have that long to wait... downtown miami is expected to be underwater in 50 to 70 years. It is already flooding at high tide

What about the Keys? Do you think the mangroves (which continuously build-up these islands via nutrient-rich sediment accumulation from the oceans) may keep the Keys afloat in this time of high tides and sea level rises? I'd imagine that it would be feasible as this chain of islands was built-up by dozens of thousands of years' worth of dead coral, and then lifted out of the sea via the arrival of red mangroves (whose pods are meant to be dropped into the sea and left to wander as they root along the way, eventually settling down in some sediment and proceeds to grow and accumulate moar and moar sediment from then on out) and their tendency to suck-up any and all sediment/nutrients from Mother Ocean as she can dish-out (Red Mangroves, IME, are landfill plants which feed via a sea of neural-network like arrangements of arching prop roots, sucking up just about any and every grain of sand and salt which comes its way), commingled with their exponential growth rate and being in their ideal super-humid tropical/subtropical dream climate, led to the surfacing and above-sea-level elevational & longitudinal growth of the southernmost FL Keys. With this landfill-like nature of mangroves in mind, would you suppose that these living islands (at least the lion's share of the 1700-something islands in this archipelago which have yet to be raped, ruined and otherwise ravaged and eradicated via the spreading of that artificial plague commonly known as Human Civilization and its disgusting discontents) would be capable of adequately adapting to rising sea levels & climate change ('global warming') via continuous accumulation of sediment from the ocean/gulf-of-mexico/FL straights? I'd like to know what your (along with anyone else who thinks they have an answer and an explanation for it) opinion would be concerning this matter, as well as the explanation/evidence backing your claim.

--Mangrove
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 02:16:10 AM »

I'm afraid not. The whole state is screwed. If it weren't for that, it would be for all the sewage being dumped into all the public water ways such as Tampa Bay, the Emerald Coast, and The North Coast. Hate to sound this way but straight up, the state is in really really bad shape ecologically speaking right now.

There are so many issues to explain that I just don't have time. You have google. You can search things like Florida Beach Erosion (did you know most beaches have to import sand because they are losing it at a rate that nature can not replace?), Edgmont Key Disappearing (has shrunk to 1/2 size since 1970), and several other ecological issues such as the Tampa Bay Sewage Dump, St. Pete mass bird death, Emerald Coast Algae, Central Florida Lakes mass fish death, Florida Oil Pipelines, Florida Fraking, Climate Change Banned in Florida, Florida Toxic Water Allowed, Miami High Tide Flooding, and Penscola Beach Flesh Eating Bacteria. Locally we are still flooded from the hurricane that hit before labor day. The destruction from such a weak storm is bad news. The new norm for the region is more rain then average. Last year was 60" this year we are already above 50".

I don't want to turn this into some debate either, this doesn't need to turn political.
Below is what remains of a beach after the Hurricane that came by (friends picture) and again, this was a weak storm. Dead mangroves etc... 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:50:37 AM by Chicsa »

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:11:50 AM »

I'm afraid not. The whole state is screwed. If it weren't for that, it would be for all the sewage being dumped into all the public water ways such as Tampa Bay, the Emerald Coast, and The North Coast. Hate to sound this way but straight up, the state is in really really bad shape ecologically speaking right now.

There are so many issues to explain that I just don't have time. You have google. You can search things like Florida Beach Erosion (did you know most beaches have to import sand because they are losing it at a rate that nature can not replace?), Edgmont Key Disappearing (has shrunk to 1/2 size since 1970), and several other ecological issues such as the Tampa Bay Sewage Dump, St. Pete mass bird death, Emerald Coast Algae, Central Florida Lakes mass fish death, Florida Oil Pipelines, Florida Fraking, Climate Change Banned in Florida, Florida Toxic Water Allowed, Miami High Tide Flooding, and Penscola Beach Flesh Eating Bacteria. Locally we are still flooded from the hurricane that hit before labor day. The destruction from such a weak storm is bad news. The new norm for the region is more rain then average. Last year was 60" this year we are already above 50".

I don't want to turn this into some debate either, this doesn't need to turn political.
Below is what remains of a beach after the Hurricane that came by (friends picture) and again, this was a weak storm. Dead mangroves etc...

QED...

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 06:24:12 PM »

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-polk/mulberry/mosaic-kept-sinkhole-secret-for-three-weeks-because-there-was-no-risk-to-public

This just happened! Another ecological disaster. I wonder if the Gov will win another Environmental Protection Award. In my life time there have never been this many ecological disasters at once in Florida.
The company that kept secret a massive sinkhole that drained a 215 million gallon radioactive pond into an underground aquifer said it didn’t go public with the crisis for three weeks because it found “no risk to the public.”
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:27:55 PM by Chicsa »

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 04:14:49 AM »

I really don't know whether to SMH or just explode into uncontrollable laughter in the face of all of these apocalyptic disasters... This goes far far far above and beyond gross negligence! I'm pretty sure this is tantamount to war crimes and eco-terrorism.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:35:50 AM by Mangrove »

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 10:38:40 PM »

Could  we just re-name the title of this thread to Florida's Environmental Tragedy of the Week?