Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Didgeridoo?  (Read 5869 times)

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
Didgeridoo?
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:12 AM »

Anyone play? Any other instruments of the niche? I'm a good didgeridooing throat singer. Got a few other instruments that i can't play well but i like. Jawharp, Hawaiian tremoloa, harmonica, native American flute.

What do you play?

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
Re: Didgeridoo?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:09:24 AM »

I do!  Not very good tho  ::)  Still can't get the circular breathing thing down but I feel like I'm getting close.  Truth be told, I'm not so musically inclined at all.  Playing the didge is very meditative for me which is why I think I'm so drawn to it.  It's also actually one of the only times I've had a, eh hem.. a non-chemically induced out of body experience lol.  It was very strange.  I felt that my voice (and being) was at the end of my didge.  A unique experience unlike any other I've had.  And never duplicated.

I'd love to get a jawharp too!  Seems inline with my seemingly inablibity to play an instrument.  Probably most chalked up to being somewhat lazy.. or unfocused, rather.

Oh, and I love a good djembe too  ;D 

My all time favorite didge players
Adele and Zalem
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:22:01 AM »

I play guitar mostly, but also bass, percussion, keys, and prettymuch anything I can make music with.  I'm in a reggae/ska/psychedelic jam band.  I love music!!
Cactus = Life

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »

Exercise 1: Fill your mouth with water and push a stream of water out using only your tongue and cheek muscles. Make sure not to use any pressure from the lungs to help. Stay relaxed and breathe in and out with your nose while making the stream. Keep trying until it feels very comfortable. This is a good exercise to do in the shower! Exercise 2: Get a straw and a cup of water. Twist the end of the straw so that almost no air can come out. Push air through the straw and into the water creating bubbles. Breathe in and out with your nose while doing this as in exercise 1. Keep the pressure even and the flow of bubbles smooth. Exercise 3: Slowly transition to just breathing in with your nose and keep the bubbles going nonstop. Master this until the muscle contractions you are using feel totally comfortable and the bubbles are flowing smoothly. Exercise 4: You are now circular breathing. Keep your cup and straw right next to you. Try to play your didge and circular breathe (it is just a bigger straw). You will find this difficult so go right back to the straw and water to practice again. Then, try on the didge again. Keep going back and forth between the cup and water and the didge until you can successfully do it on your didge..
  link

I have a friend that is a master playing digeridoo on his acustic trance band, check it:

Fantastic to watch live ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »

A friend of mine makes didg'es out of "century plant" stalks. They sound amazing. Agaves die after they flower so no harm in collecting the stalks.

Pic 1: random guy harvesting agave stalk for didg making
pic 2: Agave perryii in flower

And I play drums, mostly latin/jazz but I can get down on some funky beats.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »

I used to know someone who played didgeridoo, I attempted to play it... not so easy like I first thought... I play the tenor saxophone, I've been playing since 6th grade, I'll play anything I can figure the melody out of, started with classical, concert, Sousa, jazz, now I like to play ska... Although I need to bring my instrument in for routine repairs so I haven't been playing it lately... been kind of procrastinating on that... and as for circular breathing, it is possible with most woodwinds (including my sax) but it is quite difficult, I consider myself a novice of that technique.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:06:06 PM by TBM »

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »

I don't play a didgeridoo, but it'd be cool to learn to play one. People are able to make some pretty cool sounds with them, though the few times I've tried it hasn't been very impressive. I do play bass, talking drum, and lately I've been having fun messing around with a melodica. I mostly play a mix of ska, funk, and reggae.

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »

I have a basic bamboo didge I can get a couple of notes out of. It's fun. Love the jawharps too, I have a couple. Thumb harps are cool too, never a wrong note, like a xylophone.  ;D
I like musical instruments but I've never been very good at them *sigh*.
It's really funny how my didge messes up my vision. And different notes will trigger different effects, or rather the same effect at different speeds.  Maybe some of you have noticed that... But it depends on the wood used for making it. Big hard woods don't do it I think.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »

Who wants to make a STS anthem?  :)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:17 AM »

^^Nice Roze!  We should  ;D

And thanks for the helpful tips above.  I love the straw excercise for practice!  I never heard of that.  I definitely have figured out its all about building those muscles.  I can blow out my mouth while breathing in and out of my nose.. so technically, I can circular breath.  I just don't have the strength to make any sound from my didge while doing it.  One thing I sometimes do is put the end of my didge in my pool.. which is difficult and not necessarily convenient.  A cup of water and a straw, however, I can keep and do anywhere!  Love it!!!
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 05:17:35 AM »

Whoa I forgot about this post! Nice to see you all here! Sounds like we have some nice hobbies. I'll come back and edit this to be more direct with others but I wanted to add a tip for circular breathing. I knew how to do it for a while but it wasn't really something I could be unconscious about. One day when on an all day walking adventure, I realized what worked for me. It might for you too. The trick is to pick a rhythm. Something simple like 'da da da da'. Drone this or thump your tongue. On the last 'da', do a circular breathe and continue the rhythm. I think having a repetitive rhythm really helps. It gets you comfortable with where the breathe should be instead of when you think you need more air. It also helps teach you how much air you really need.