Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: please help me identify these random city mushrooms  (Read 4244 times)

psykinetic

• Trading Score: +2
  • love and light to all
please help me identify these random city mushrooms
« on: July 27, 2014, 04:21:25 AM »

I saw these little guys right in the dirty dingy city(kinda feel like nature is fighting back! Go nature! )
Does anyone have a clue what variatie they are? Just so out of place,i work at a giant warehouse...there are no grounds other than a few weed patches. Truly urban sprawl
"Ride the Spiral to the End...We May Just Go Were No Ones Been"

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Re: please help me identify these random city mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »

It's really difficult to ID mushrooms without a spore print. The color of the spores is a huge indicator towards identification. Also another big factor with cap-style mushrooms is if it has gills or small holes.

Also, we're trying to steer away from IDing wild mushrooms here on STS, until we get a bonafide mycologist. Here's a quote from the Medicinal and Edible Mushroom Subforum Rules:

Identification of wild fungi is a complex process. It takes a lot of experience and many steps to properly identify wild fungi.

Furthermore, some edible fungi have poisonous and/or deadly "look-a-likes" that if mistaken for an edible could cause serious harm or death. To keep members and guests of this community safe, we will not identify wild fungi. We will focus our attention on cultivation of known species that are edible and/or medicinal.

If you wish to develop your Mushroom identification skills, check out "All the Rain Promises and More" by David Arora. It's the field guide to identification and is accompanied by a larger encyclopedia called "Musrooms Demystified".

The two books work in conjunction with each other. "All the Rain Brings and More" is a small book that's easy to toss in a backpack. It gives you the basic details about most mushrooms. Then it often references "Mushrooms Demystified" for more detailed information. "Mushrooms Demystified" is a large book, one that you leave at home and use after you've made a spore print.

Furthermore, there are often Local Mushroom groups. A mycologist in your area is much more likely to positively ID mushrooms. For the most part, mycologists are wild and funny people. They love it when anyone shows an interest. From my experience, you'll learn waaaaaaayyyyyy more than you set out to.

Best Wishes,
Hcc
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:52:03 PM by happyconcacti »

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
Re: please help me identify these random city mushrooms
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:05:19 AM »

This is not to ID....it is just to share a pic....Possibly Polyporus sanguineus or Polyporus sanguineus