Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ethnobotanical Florida  (Read 20929 times)

delta9hippie

Re: Ethnobotanical Florida
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »

Has anyone tried rooting Ilex Vomitoria?

Yes. I rooted a few wild specimens. I would take cuttings about 5 nodes long (semi-hardwood), cut off bottom 2 nodes, dip in rooting powder (not gel) and place in relatively dry soil. The main problem was too much moisture, as I lost a couple cuttings the first round due to rot from too much moisture. That's why I decided that powder worked better than gel. I also didn't have as much experience with semi-hardwood cuttings, like I did with green/herbaceous cuttings at the time. My guess is that much larger cuttings could be taken and rooted this way, but mine were all fairly small. If you are doing it outside, do it in the Spring or Fall.
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »

http://www.floridasurvivalgardening.com

A good website I've been reading on...or reading damn near everything! Some of the techniques this guy presents could be used anywhere too not just Florida.

Peace
Spreading love!

MirlitonVine

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 01:03:09 AM »

Count me in too.  The line for the Florida Ethnobotany Special Interest Group starts here.

This could get interesting!

I'm also interested. I live in coastal Louisiana, but there's not much info online about the ethnobotany of my area. Since my climate is zone 9b and we share most of our plant species, I generally use Florida ethnobotany literature as a resource for learning about my local flora.
Pages: 1 [2]