Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ethnobotanical Florida  (Read 20881 times)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Ethnobotanical Florida
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »

Thought those in or around Florida might find this interesting:

50 Common Native Plants Important In Florida's Ethnobotanical History

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw152

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:22:28 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

delta9hippie

Re: Ethnobotanical Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »

Florida is an amazing place for the field of ethnobotany! I lived there for a while. It's also a great place to grow plants!

This book has been on my wish list for a loooong time. I was able to get my hands on a copy a few years ago at a university library. Very nice work: http://amzn.com/0849323320. Almost a 1,000 pages on Florida Ethnobotany.

I grew Yaupon trees (Ilex vomitoria) there, and had some pruned down to thick bushes. They grow all over in the wild in the central and Northern parts of the state. Very nice to roast the leaves and brew a tea.
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »

Thanks to this thread I just discovered that the huge row of hedges that have been in front of my house for years are Illex vomitoria! A plant I'd been considering finding! Now I have a 15 ft row of super dense bushes that are 15 x 5 foot. Gonna have to figure out what to do with them. Was considering cutting them down before.
Spreading love!

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »

This is awesome! I have a buncha the plants from the first link! Glad to be expanding my knowledge Thanks so much!

delta9hippie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »

Thanks to this thread I just discovered that the huge row of hedges that have been in front of my house for years are Illex vomitoria! A plant I'd been considering finding! Now I have a 15 ft row of super dense bushes that are 15 x 5 foot. Gonna have to figure out what to do with them. Was considering cutting them down before.

It's one of the most common landscaping plants over there. I shared your excitement when I found that out doing landscape design in the state :) I was really intrigued by the weeping cultivar:
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:54:34 AM »

Has anyone tried rooting Ilex Vomitoria?

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

Never tried rooting it but if anyone wants to I have the bushing variety of illex v. Huge bushes I can take many cuttings from. Don't be shy just hit me up!
Spreading love!

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »

Here's another great resource for plants in florida (and botany in general)
http://www.fairchildgarden.org/education/kids-families/downloadable-learning-modules#eth
Section 3 focuses on ethnobotany
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »

That is so awesome!!! +1

Any of you guys been to the Fairchild plant sale? I was thinking itd be so awesome to get an entheobotanical table there or a STS table :) Shame its not free, itd be a great excuse for us FL people to meet up and show off our plants :D

I still like the idea of having a FL Entheobotanical Club/Organization but I know most of us are pretty spread out across the state.
It'd be really neat, my mom was able to go on a Plant ID mission in Thailand through the the local Aeroid Society/Fern Club, so you never know what we could do if we banded together here :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:15:25 PM by Chickasaw Man »

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »

I'd suspected those were Ilex vomitoria growing everywhere around here, but now after seeing that picture there's no question. I'm never buying coffee again :D

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »

This past weekend I went camping in the Arcadia, FL area and there were certainly wild ones growing around. They have the red fruits on them now. There's a plant that looks almost the same but upon very close scrutiny its easy to see the difference. Not sure what plant that is unfortunately. Another plant was in fruit I'd never noticed before. Have pics of it I'll put up to see if anyone knows later.
Spreading love!

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »

I'm surprised that Jamaican Dogwood wasn't mentioned!!! It's native to The Keys and its root bark possesses very interesting analgesic and sedative properties! ATM i'm trying to find a lab willing to facilitate further tests (GC-MS analysis, PBPK testing, in vivo studies in rodents, etc) on this under-researched plant. I would ideally like to know what it contains and which active components are responsible for causing its medicinal effects.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:04:49 AM by Sherdan1 »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »

I would love to help start a FL ethnobotanical society!!
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »

I'd also be down for a Florida ethnobotanical society or club. I'm pretty sure I live at least a few hours away from other Florida members here, but I'd be down to drive a couple hours to meet up with everyone a couple times a year.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 03:10:37 AM »

Count me in too.  The line for the Florida Ethnobotany Special Interest Group starts here.

This could get interesting!
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.
Pages: [1] 2