Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Peruvian torch varieties? trich types?  (Read 3237 times)

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Peruvian torch varieties? trich types?
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »

Does anyone here have any detailed info about the different T. peruvianus varieties and/or seed source locations (geographic, not vendors)? I know I've read some stuff in the past on other sites, but I don't remember anything too juicy, and I just did a quick search here an didn't find much either...
I guess that's a pretty broad question, so like, what are the differences between the varieties? Are any seed locations fairly consistent? Any extremely variable? In what ways? Any particular favorites, and why?
Whenever I think about adding peruvianus to my collection, I just don't know what to get. When I read up on it, it basically sounds like there's 20+ unclassified cacti that are "torch" cacti from "Peru"- an that's all peruvianus can guarantee.
I encountered a legit "Peruvian Torch"  (if there is such a thing) once room hunting on CL; it was beautiful, way more "personality" than my pedro or bridges. It was in a pot inside by the window, it was the first thing I noticed when I walked in the house, I knew what it was instantly, and it really dominated my attention. I wasn't going to end up moving into that house, and it wasn't really the occasion to demand details; I did confirm it was a torch, it was a gift from a friend, and they didn't know much else about it.
As much as I love growing and getting to know any plants, there's just something about hunting or seeking out a specific spirit...
Tell me bout your Trichs!!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: Peruvian torch varieties? trich types?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »

There are several various torches out there considered as Peruvians. I believe various researchers collected specimens from different areas of Peru. I know I've seen in person about 5-10 "Peruvian torches" that were all expressly different. My friend ordered two cuts once and both are entirely different.
Spreading love!

teonanocatl

• Trading Score: +28
  • ashes in the riiver, I step into the flow.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:52:22 AM »

different trich varieties is my favorite subject right now, there is peruvianis, pachanoi, bridgesii, scopulicolia, these are the main ones you generally look for though some other decent sub vars exist. plus you gotta look out for "pachanot" as they say, this is known for low alk content, but on the bright side it is one of the fastest growing vars, thus its popularity with vendors. generally pachanois have smaller stubby spines bridgesii has generally intermitent suuper long spines, and scops are spinless!...peruvianis is some where between them. i just try to get the bluest looking specimans....
dont worry, B. Caapi.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »

These are various Peruvian Torches, all but the first are mine
1) Wild Mutacana in Peru picture from mew
2) I just call this one CK01 for now
3) JS08
4) CK02 for now
5) I forgot the specific maybe hcc can help me out?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:44:51 PM by Chickasaw Man »