Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Native forager sharing the invasive & indigenous  (Read 2706 times)

MuadDib

Native forager sharing the invasive & indigenous
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:09:37 AM »

Greetings all, My first mission on sharetheseeds is to extend an invitation to those who may be interested in seeds from my local flora. I live in central FL. And make regular trips to the panhandle. The plant life varies greatly between the two.
So, To those who may be inclined. Please research the literature and let me know if I can help. I have Abrus precatorius in my back yard. I have seen many native morning glory varieties as well as mimosa/acacia like plants. I have observed a larger sensitive plant, And a smaller M. Pigra. Passionflower, Many types of brugmansia/datura, And access to wild D. illinoensis up north. I also spotted a crawling mimosa like plant with thorny seed pods. Grasses like A. donax and a host of native and ornamental phalaris. I'm also excited to see how our plants differ from region to region.
Just to name a few. I would love to share and identify many of the plants found here. It is really exciting to hunt plants here because the climate can allow so many variables.

MirlitonVine

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
Re: Native forager sharing the invasive & indigenous
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 12:49:15 AM »

I like doing the same thing. I live south of New Orleans so I'm sure we share many plant species. I've also found quite a bit of D. Illinioensis growing wild and many different legume species that I can't id for anything. I've even found bundleflowers growing directly across the hwy from the beach. We also have several morning glories, including one that looks exactly like I. Alba but it has black seeds. It only grows in extreme southeast louisiana, in areas which generally never receive frost, along the banks of the last 20 miles or so of the miss. river and on the barrier islands. It shares the same range here as black mangrove and other species which can't take freezes. Basically zone 10 coastal areas. Any idea what it could be?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:58:32 AM by MirlitonVine »