Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Verbascum thapsus anyone?  (Read 4761 times)

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
Verbascum thapsus anyone?
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:29 PM »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum_thapsus
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/m/mulgre63.html
I haven't seen much about it here and its one of my favorit medical plants mainly for lung , but it has many other uses.
So here are some pictures and a link or two. O and if anyone is interested in them I an giving away seeds.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:08:51 PM by marshmellow »

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: Verbascum thapsus anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »

I've tried sowing these a few times with no success. Do you have any suggestions, what they like water wise etc?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »

It appears they are native or at least very invasive in Europe, I see them growing all over the place, if someone likes I could also take some seeds next time I see some, the last one I saw is propably pretty dead by now because its location was meant to have a road build on.
Praise is mandatory.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:59:12 PM »

I've noticed wherever datura innoxia and meteloides can grow so can mullein. Neat that datura leaves and mullein may reduce asthmatic symptoms if used properly.

Mullein likes poor dry soil and thrives where a river may be near by. Mullein is always common along railroad tracks in many places.
From seed careful not to keep it too damp from my experience. May even give straight coco coir a shot because its worked before personally.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

solaritea

• Trading Score: +48
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »

I've got datura and mullein (V. thaspus) naturalized in my yard from seed I've collected from local wild plants. The wild plants don't get supplemental water or fertilizer and we have very dry summers. They survive but don't thrive. The wild datura reaches 1-2 feet (.3-.6m) across and the mullein a similar height.
In my yard with amended soil, fertilizer, and extra water my daturas are 6 feet (1.8m) across and the mullein gets up to 8 feet (2.4m) tall. They certainly tolerate poor dry soil well but do really well with better conditions.

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »

I usually sow them before winter  in cactus soil and forget about them. I've  always found them growing in dry  gravel/ rocky  soil. There not too picky I've tried them in all kinds of soil  even got one in a hydroponic system. Chickasaw  If you want I could send fresh seeds or a live plant to get them started.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:12:28 PM »

As I said I have kept my eyes open for the plant and the right time, I've finally got sucessfull :) I was so long on the hunt for a really big specimen until I realised its some sort of gigantomania and I should just pic a nice ripe and clean one - as I did now :) Also I tried to remember as many spots with first year Verbascum as possible :)

Theres one thing that kept me from picking the big ones I found, and I would like to know if someone knows more because Im concerned, I never wittnessed this:
Most yellow Verbascum I found was awfully crowded with bugs and every kind of organisms that of course are always invited but not in that extend.

Im in my place in the countryside for some time now so I have trouble uploading pics (when I could I have documented the issue).

As for the Verbascum: its up for giving away of course as long this years stock lasts :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:30:45 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

• Trading Score: +2
  • ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:53 PM »

Yeah bro word for that one, when I find verbascum t. it's always infested with those six legged walking_/flying multicolored bugs that just stay there. I mean i'm not a big fan of flies but at least they get the fuck out you know ahahah
BTW guys. can someone be so smart to tell me how inoxia found its way in my garden if it's native to south america? It really baffles me. Plus its only distributed in one patch and my land is 3 hectares of woods and I explored like 5 hectares more. Strange isn't it? I mean what kind of bird would eat datura inoxia..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:26:18 PM by 23 »
Zone: Caput Mundi

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »

I have now started "disassembly" of a plant I harvested recently, so I can make seeds available soon to those who arent lucky enough to have them in their area. Altho I chose the particular plant for its mostly free of bugs appearance I must discover it does still carry impressive numbers of bugs with it. Most present is a bug from Cionus family, propably Cionus tuberculosus - but they are all very similar and it doesnt matter much from a botanical standpoint. The thing is: I consider myself lucky I started the extraction of seeds today and not later, the larva thrieve on the plant and then will rest in the flowers, I assume natures plan is the bug, once developed, can feed on the seeds, or precisely: the energy the mother plant left in there to help the seedlings on their way. So it appears waiting unecessarely long before taking the seeds out of the plant can reduce the amount of seeds you harvest, if the plant is inhabitated with bugs. They hide very well, you cant see them until you crack the seedpods. They dont even have any sign of the bug making its way in.
Praise is mandatory.

teonanocatl

• Trading Score: +28
  • ashes in the riiver, I step into the flow.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 06:41:49 AM »

mullien grows great around these parts...i always find lots of mullien
dont worry, B. Caapi.