Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Frostbitten Bridgesii "Sherman"?  (Read 4369 times)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Frostbitten Bridgesii "Sherman"?
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »

Did this Sherman bridge (bigger one on the right) get freeze damage in shipping? Its been this color since I got it, so not sun damage, I think. Thought it might be just an old weathered cut, but having second thoughts.

Also, this "Antonio" bridge is very sucked up and wrinkled at the bottom, but it throwing out aerial roots about halfway up the cut. Maybe recut just below the aerial roots?

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Re: Frostbitten Bridgesii "Sherman"?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »

Would you please post a picture of the aerial roots? I've never seen any cacti roots yet, and it will help expand my gardening knowledge.
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »

Those just look like they are dehydrated which is normal. They will plump back up a little after rooting and the first few watering. I would not recut; just plant them in dry soil and water lightly after 2-4 weeks and they should pup and grow just fine, as long as its not super soft (rot) it is fine.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »

The "Antionio" you might consider planting horizontally. That way the wrinkled end wont rot and you can put the aerial roots in soil. "Antonio" seems to be a pain to root so taking advantage of the aerial roots would be awesome.

The "Sherman" looks fine. It was cut from the original cacti over a year ago so it should root fairly quickly for you. It's not the most beautiful cutting ever but the pups will be very blue with long, black spines. The original grower loves cuttings like that one for propagation. He leaves cuttings laying around for months before putting them in soil. It could be laziness, it could be technique or both, I'm not sure.

Hcc

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »

Ok, awesome. Thank you both for the advice!

Yeah, the color of the Sherman pups are beautiful. The grafted scion "Sherman" was what made me worry the light color of this cutting was due to damage during shipping. I'll just put it back in the soil and wait.  :)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:29:08 PM »

The grafted scion "Sherman" was what made me worry the light color of this cutting was due to damage during shipping. I'll just put it back in the soil and wait.  :)

Ohhhhh, yeah, the grower had them sitting in partial sun for about 5 months so they're a little sun-bleached.

Hcc