Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Got my first eggs!  (Read 6910 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Got my first eggs!
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »

This morning when I was feeding my chickens I got a nice surprise... 4 xxl free range eggs!

I know that this isn't a big deal to some of you, but growing your own food is something that will makes you very happy and its very rousing !

I always try to give my animals a good and healthy life, my chickens have a special treatment: early in the morning I change their water and pick some fresh Phalaris  they really LOVE it, then I mix old bread with some organic waste from the previous day, sometimes hemp leaves and datura's seeds on the ground so they can enjoy the rest of the day! ;)

Chickens play an important role in all gardens, not only the eggs but also for the quality of compost that offer us.
Its a vicious circle between the organic wastes coming from the garden  previously fertilized by them. Isnt required much space and 1 or 2 chickens in a small mobile  coop does wonders for the quality of our soil!

You should try it! ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Got my first eggs!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »

Beautiful chickens man. I have always loved chickens!
Cactus = Life

Roze

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »

Me too! In fact Im tying to became vegetarian... but is not easy.. not easy at all! ::)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »

Chickens are wonderful creatures. Each with their own personality.

I would be afraid to let them eat datura seeds, but then again four of ours ate a couple digitalis plants right down to the roots a while back and they seemed unaffected. After that, I assume they just naturally know what they can eat and what to avoid.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »

I would be afraid to let them eat datura seeds, but then again four of ours ate a couple digitalis plants right down to the roots a while back and they seemed unaffected. After that, I assume they just naturally know what they can eat and what to avoid.

I know there different animals, but my bro said that the goats at the pri ate some poison peach tree, and they all slowly died.
That may be relevant? Lol
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Roze

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »

The animals knows the nature better then us... My chicks start naturally eating the seeds and the flowers by her own. Curiously they dont eat Hedera...

Chickens organism produce a strong acid that destroy the food to digest it better. Maybe they tolerate a couple of seeds better them us! ;)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »

When they're introduced to plants that they aren't familiar with i doubt they'd know it had poisonous alkaloids in it. Better be careful just to be safe
Cactus = Life

Roze

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:47:54 PM »

2 months ago my black chicken became ill and I have to take I made the difficult decision to end their suffering.. as you imagine is not easy to kill a pet, but it was the only option.

The good news is the hennery has a new resident: an beautiful white male "garnize nagazaki".

Ps: not mistake with its appearance, it can be small and cute but is a compost machine!  :o
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:50:58 PM by Roze »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »

Growing up and living in a rural area I very early understood the respect and love we must give living beings, and what is not love anymore. So I made the experience the ending of suffering of for exame a deer run over by a woman who was just screaming all over the place, or the hare, that already grew way older than they would out in the field and got attacked by a weasel, quickly looses the scary properties it has, and the relief feels good for all, onlookers and sufferers.

I'm sure you did the right thing.
Praise is mandatory.

Borstos

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 12:52:42 AM »

I had to let my dog go three years ago, these decisions are always very hard but deep in your heart you know that it would be wrong or selfish not to do it. I feel with you.

Your chicken seem to be very happy. But it is not always true that animals know what's right for them. My new dog ate cigarettes one time and other things which are not healthy. She is a very hungry animal trying everything but now I know her I am very cautious and lokking that she only eats stuff which is not dangerous. There were also cases of poisouned food which was led out by some bad person some miles away so I always try to recognize everything my dog eats (or tries to eat).

I hope your chicken laid some more eggs for the easter days for you:)

bloodysafety

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:09:56 PM »

dogs are not chickens. The biology is very different. That being said: my wife and I have maintained a free range mixed flock of +/- 45 birds, mostly chickens, for about 6 years now and as far as knowing what to and not to eat is true to an *extent* and they can obviously handle a wider variety of compounds than us mammals but I HAVE seen birds try to eat stupid shit (like fertilizer pellets) but ONLY when its stupid shit a human tossed in the yard. they trust their owners. I have watched my birds for years successfully avoiding toxic fungus and gorge on the edible ones. In my potted plants garden they regularly avoid our datura and nicotienas but i belive thats learned.

The birds learn from eachother. if one takes a nip and doesnt like it the rest will NEVER touch it even after the origional bird dies. least thats what ive seen in my flock.