Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help! Brown spot on loph graft.  (Read 18006 times)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Help! Brown spot on loph graft.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:23 AM »

I had this happen once and it took a while to figure out. It was a combination of not using sterile water when i mixed the GA3 and spraying during ¨day¨ time. Water on plants during the day is like a magnifying glass and will sunburn / damage the tissue. The tissue damage greatly increases the chance of picking up bacterial / fungal pathogens in the air and from the solution.

If the stock or scion were already infected it would have shown up before now and would have greatly affected the base area (soil line) of the stock. This is easily noticed because it causes the main stem to wither starting at either the soil line or the scion junction.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:43:55 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »

Good to know. I will start spraying my grafts when the lights are off.  That must have been what happened to the ariocarpus.  It was fine until i sprayed it one day.
Cactus = Life

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback. I figured it wasn't from not being sterile while making the graft because there wasnt any rot where the stock and scion fused together.

I sprayed it with GA3 in the morning when I did so that means it then spent all day under growlights with water on it until the water evaporated. That's probably what went wrong. In the future Ill spray them in evening right before I turn the lights off.

Again thank you everyone for the help.

Sherman

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 03:05:22 AM »

How's your loph doing now? Just curious. I hope it's doing better!

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »

It went to yote heaven :'(. I tried to cut off all of the rot. By the time I was done about half of it was missing. So I ended up cutting t he whole thing off and grafting a new seedling on there.

Sherman

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that! Poor lil guy.... :(
Pages: 1 [2]