Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Temperatures & plants. How low can it go? (Community research thread)  (Read 70520 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Temperatures & plants. How low can it go? (Community research thread)
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2017, 09:00:15 PM »

Sally hit ~8 °C at night repeatedly this year and remained unharmed (not just alive). She is sheltered from strong wind. I guess thats somewhere about her limit and I will not try to push much further.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:01:42 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2017, 12:59:51 AM »

Has anyone tried growing Withania somnifera as a perennial in zone 7a?
When I started growing ashwagandha sources either said zone 9+ or zone 10+ so I just ruled it out. Now I just noticed most sources have switched to saying zone 8+ so I'm wondering if heavy mulching and a big pot overturned to cover the stump could do it.
I've never had one survive winter, though I have repeatedly left small ones in the ground, fully exposed.
They are able to self seed in my garden.

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »

Piper Methysticum Survived  Temp: 3C, 8 hours, in zone 8b, in the ground but uncovered
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2018, 05:08:35 AM »

Mimosa Hostillis uncovered 1 night of 28F no damage (9b)

Acacia Confusa uncovered 1 night of 28F no damage (9b)

Trichocereus species (most of em) uncovered 1 night of 28F no damage (9b)

B. Caapi uncovered 1 night of 28F most of plant is dead (10a)

P. Viridis several nights below 40F lost 75% of leafs covered for 28f unknown how it fared. tonight will be 32f-33f as the low (10a)

V. Africana several nights below 40F lost all leafs covered for 28f unknown how it fared. tonight will be 32f-33f as the low (10b)

T. undulata several nights below 40F severe leaf damage covered for 28f unknown how it fared. tonight will be 32f-33f as the low (10b)

Salvia Divinorum uncovered 1 night of 28F appears dead (10a)

M. speciosa uncovered 1 night of 28F died to stem (10a)

e. novo uncovered several nights below 40f lost 90% of leafs covered for 28f unknown how it fared. tonight will be 32f-33f as the low (10b?)

P. Nexus several nights below 40F very little damage covered for 28f unknown how it fared. tonight will be 32f-33f as the low (9b?)

yopo (A peregrina) uncovered 1 night of 28F no damage (9b)

Vilca (a. colubrina) uncovered 1 night of 28F no damage (9a?)

p. poepegina uncovered 1 night of 28F appeared stressed, but minor damage. (10a?)

I had a record breaking low, I think I could still be 10a despite this cold temp, the average of my lows over the past 15-20 years has been 10a, but very clearly I can have a once in 20 year 9b winter, and very clearly to me several of my plants are higher zones than i previously thought. I listed the zones I believe these plants to reliably grow in without dieing. I can say the majority of damage on p. viridis however, was caused by a temp drop from 80F to 42F in a single day.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:11:21 AM by Chicsa »

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2018, 07:26:55 AM »

Nice summary Chicsa.  We got down to 32 F here.

E. novo in pots - minor leaf drop
E. novo in ground - no damage
Voacanga in pots - total leaf drop, but no stem damage
Voacanga in ground - 70-80% leaf drop, but no stem damage
A. simplex in pots - no damage
B. caapi (various) in pots - no damage
Trichocereus in pots - no damage
Phalaria macrocarpa - massive damage, probably all dead

Most of the pots are close to the house or in other protected areas from the wind.  I agree with Chicsa that a sudden temperature drop with associated cold wind, seems to be more damaging than the absolute temperature.  I've found this to be especially true with E. novo.  They can handle 32 F no problem if protected from wind.  Fortunately, I was able to drag most of my rarer stuff into the house. 

JayWise

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +19
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:26:43 PM by JayWise »

JayWise

• Trader
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2018, 05:49:13 PM »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:25:28 PM by JayWise »

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2018, 06:11:13 PM »

1 mimosa hostillis looks pretty harmed from the cold, 2 others don't bizzare to me as they are all in the same part of the yard, could be from wind damage i suppose, one is more exposed to the wind than others.

HBWR toasted from 1 night 28f 1 night 34F

2 p. viridis survived covered both 28f and 34f nights, survived fine. no damage, 1 in another part of the yard was fried
e. novos survived covered on both 28f and 34f fine. no damage
p. poepegiana is fried.

danzick

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2018, 07:53:16 PM »

After 32 F for about 3-4 hours.

danzick

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »

V. africana, not so good, but ok.

JayWise

• Trader
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:24:56 PM by JayWise »

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2018, 12:42:27 AM »

my biggest mimosa looks like it has a ton of damge, i dont know the extent, it could be dead, meanwhile the other two are perfectly ok with no damage, i'm confused but happy 2 survived.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2018, 01:35:48 AM »

looks like nearly everything that was severely damaged is coming back. a look at some of the recovery.... as I'm in full spring it seems mid 80s daily
B. muricata
Kratom
E. Novo
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:36:17 AM by Chicsa »

poroporo

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »

Exceptional thread.
Will try and record temps this year and in the future.
Have had snowfall on the following (all survived)

T. pach, peru, bridgesii
Brugmansia sanguinea
Artemisia sp

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2018, 06:45:20 AM »

Alright folks, its freezing here... literally.
Its not officially winter yet, but it sure does feel like it! I'm getting a little nervous here...

The cacti and Acacia are still outside.  Its been getting colder steadily every night- in F, 33, 30, 28, 27. day temps have been in the 40s. tonight and tomorrow are supposed to get pretty chilly, says 25 tonight, 24 tomorrow. were breaching the record for these exact plants, i brought them in early last year because i left town for the holidays and wouldn't be around to monitor, and then there's data I posted about a page back in this same thread for Dec 2016, says they survived -2C or 28F for extended time.

I am being lazy, and debating leaving the plants outside. its just for a few hours, then temps will turn around and work back into the 40s. 10 day forecast says after these two nights, temps will bump back up to mid 30s at night, 40s still during the day.

the cacti got rained on pretty hard last month, but then it was dry for a bit, and i put them under cover before our last heavy storms. under cover is two sliding glass doors that are leaned against the S side of the shed, so get some sun (if there were any lol), but protected from rain. so its been 3-4 weeks since they've actually been watered, but the soil is still fairly damp. there are several ~5yr pachanoi and bridgesii, and one or two peruvianus, all from seed, and then one big BK "Chavin" clone about the same age, all with several pups. the tallest seedlings are ~1m tall, but some are a bit less,and with 5-10cm diameters. the BK is even bigger. then there's a few smaller maybe 2 yr old seedling hybrids and top cut clones, just under a 30cm tall with an 3cm or so diameter. all in pots

the Acacia maidenii is also i think 5 years old, its been stunted due to being topped and container culture, but its in a 25-30 gal (fake, plastic) half wine barrel, actual height of the plant from top of soil is ~1.5m now, with ~3-4cm trunk diameter at the base. it has not been under cover at all, and got rained on pretty heavily like 2 weeks ago. it got some rain last month as well, but in general, it has been relatively dry this year until recently, the heavy rains came late. also, i only watered it twice near the end of summer, before that it went probably 4 months in full sun without any watering or rain. the is a good 2-3cm layer of mulch that is pretty well established with some fungal mycelium as well, and it is possible that this may be generating some heat and thus keeping the root a little bit warmer.

normally, the Acacia starts to grow new leaves with the rain, and then the new growth freezes and dies back, and get scared and bring the thing in. this year, there is not a lot of super fresh growth, not yet at least, there are new phyllodes that popped up maybe a month or two ago, and they are small but seem hardened off. all phyllodes, old and young, are changing from a solid green (deep on mature, vivid on new), with maybe a few red tips, to more of yellowish pea green, nearly all with reddening edges and tips. its dark now, i should have been on this earlier and taken some pictures

what do you all think?? do i risk it for a biscuit (more like a tidbit of info), or do i call it now and bring everyone inside for the season? there's a lot of pots, some of them pretty good sized, its gonna take a bit of time and do my back in. but  i will be so sad if they all freeze to death, I've frozen a cacti before, it about broke my heart. but its only for a few hours... ahhhh!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:48:13 AM by XDX »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7