Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Caapi leaf mold for Salvia soil mix?  (Read 1461 times)

cactusman

• Trading Score: +9
Caapi leaf mold for Salvia soil mix?
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »

Has anyone used caapi leaf litter/mold as an additive in their soil mixes? I'm thinking of including a bunch of it in one soil mix for one of my plants. I have a lot of caapi leaf and not sure what to do with it all so figured I'd experiment a little n see if they like it.

They also seem to love the compost powder mix Recharge they go nuts for it getting pearly white roots :)

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
Re: Caapi leaf mold for Salvia soil mix?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:35:53 PM »

I understand from a podcast done by a member here that Caapi leaves contain beta-carbolines as well, so if you've got a lot of them there may be another use for them.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

cactusman

• Trading Score: +9
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 06:14:12 PM »

Basically have an unlimited supply of leaves taking over the remnants of a mango tree I'll have to research what I can do with em.

arborescent

• Trading Score: +33
  • phytognostic
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 02:19:14 AM »

AFAIK caapi leaf has been used by indigenous people when they don't have stems as readily available, but I've heard it doesn't taste as good.
(I hope this is appropriate talk for this forum, we're allowed to discuss historical/native usage as I understand.)

I think I've heard of keeping moldy leaves on the top layer of soil. Mulches out weeds and slowly releases nutrients. I'm not super knowledgeable on that though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:30:08 AM by arborescent »