Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: keeping insects oVo pet bug thread  (Read 74 times)

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +71
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
keeping insects oVo pet bug thread
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:08:43 am »

so i had katydid nymphs on my cactis, just sitting there a couple weeks.. i guess eating the periskiopsis, but wasn't much to eat..
so i decided they are cute and i'd keep them in a pickle jar, they didn't seem to mind and were very happy eating bramble leaves.
been easy to keep and fun to watch, they move around so slow and elegantly, chirp a few times every now and then, at sunrise.
i built a cage and change out a fresh bramble vine about once a week.. mist with water each day for them to drink.
first image is before she gets her wings, then a few hours later and she is 3 times the size, and has big leaf wings..

Also i ordered some phyllium eggs that started hatching.. no photos of the babies yet, they look like carpenter ants.
one hatched much earlier than the others, i named her Phillipea.. picture after shed her skin, and before she eats it..

we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +401
Re: keeping insects oVo pet bug thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:25:24 am »

That's very cool OnandOn. I just found a female luna moth in my front yard. We have a big Liquidambar tree which is a larval food plant. Was just looking up moth rearing when I saw your post.

Coincidink? Maybe.

Maybe not...

Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Hopfrog

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +5
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:20:17 am »

I found a female luna moth on the ground last year. She was really flimsy and broke both of her wing tails, but I put her on a hanging petunia pot on the porch of a house on a hill. She survived a run in with a gentle cat, and through it all was mating on the flower the next morning.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +71
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 01:53:23 am »

;D a few months ago there was 'eastern tent caterpillars' crawling everywhere,
 i kept a few in a large clear container with leaves from the tree they were falling from,
they cocooned and turned into moths, but i dont think they ever mated or layed any eggs.
same time i was also trying to raise silk worms on artificial diet, and it was a nightmare.
anyways here is some good pdfs on raising luna moths (under the resources tab)
https://www.carolina.com/moths/luna-moth-cocoons-pack-of-3/143942.pr?question=luna+moth
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return