Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: "Late" application of Gibberellic Acid  (Read 8086 times)

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
"Late" application of Gibberellic Acid
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:20:29 PM »

It's day 16 and I'm watching 7 of my new Loph seedlings make good progress (yay!) but there are 16 seeds sitting on the wet sand which have not germinated.  Would there be any value in taking placing a drop of 500 ppm GA3 using an eye-dropper on each of the non-germinated seeds at this late date?  I mean, it's 16 drops of GA3...not exactly a huge investment in time, energy or materials.

Thoughts?

S.L.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:28:06 PM by Shpongle Lover »
You say you want a change, then make a change.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: "Late" application of Gibberellic Acid
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:20:18 AM »

I put some GA3 drops on my unsprouted boswellia seeds yesterday. I doubt any of them would have sprouted regardless. I'll let you know if any of them do.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:37:36 AM »

I've never looked into it myself, but i would think that it would leave GA3 dried up in the soil after the water evaporates.  Not sure how good that would be. Although I have heard of people watering their plants with it.  So it could work.

And with lophs, a rate around 30% is pretty standard from what I hear unless you're working with fresh seeds.  So don't fret too much about it when they don't all sprout.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:38:17 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Shpongle Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm not really disappointed with the germination rate, it's more of an experiment than anything else.  I only put one drop directly on each unsprouted seed with an eyedropper, not on the tray in its entirety.  The sand (not soil) is damp to begin with and is kept moist so I doubt the powder will come out of solution or affect other seedlings which are spaced well-away from one another.

Curious to see if anything happens.  I'll update any success (or failure).

S.L.

Shpongle Lover

Re: "Late" application of Gibberellic Acid -UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:18:05 AM »

Time for an update:  Its been a bit over a week since the application of the GA3.  It appears to have had NO effect.  OTOH, the same batch of GA3 applied as a 24 hour soak to a new batch of seeds seems to be resulting in a much better germination rate.

S.L.