Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hawaiian psychotria viridis. Why does it have such properties?  (Read 7512 times)

Vazkh

• Trader
Hawaiian psychotria viridis. Why does it have such properties?
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:28:54 PM »

Hello!

I'd want to own a psychotria viridis plant and I'd like it to have a chemistry as similar as possible to the dried leaves produced in Hawaii.

Ok, the question is: do those dried leaves have that certain chemistry because they are of a variety genetically different from the plants outside Hawaii or because the climate/soil of Hawaii is more favourable?

I've been looking for this information on Internet and have only been able to find a few people asking the same question but no answers.

If it is a different variety, then I'd want to know where I can buy the plant or some green leaves if anybody knows.

Thank you very much and best regads.

(By the way, I'm new  :) )

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:27:48 PM by Vazkh »

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: Hawaiian psychotria viridis. Why is it more potent?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »

Hi Vazkh,

Welcome to STS :)

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I just want to make sure you've read over the STS rules. Your post is within guidelines, but it's treading in grey area. We strictly discuss and trade live plants and do not discuss consumption at all. We generally shy away from discussing manipulating potency as it implies consumption. Consider this a friendly reminder that the focus of this forum is considerably narrower than some of the other forums out there, including our sister site.

Peace,
Frog

Vazkh

• Trader
Re: Hawaiian psychotria viridis. Why is it more potent?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »

Thanks for the warning. I've modified it and now it looks more neutral.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: Hawaiian psychotria viridis. Why does it have such properties?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »

I don't believe there is a P. viridis native to Hawaii. What I figure happened is that a long time ago a botanist or plant enthusiast took a P. viridis to Hawaii and it happened to be of favorable genetics. Now this happened possibly long ago and may have been more or less forgotten so at some point somebody just started calling their P. viridis Hawaiian strain. This is only speculation but seems to be a good assumption.

Hit me up for a leaf of a good type if you like!

Peace MP
Spreading love!

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 02:20:23 AM »

Maybe his name was Terence? Just guessing, but he did live in Hawaii and claimed to have brought specimens back from South America.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:21:28 AM by Psylocke »
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

koacaia

• Trading Score: +124
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:39:49 AM »

From what I've seen here on the big island there are 2 types of psychotria. One grows tall with large leaf and the other stays short with smaller darker leaf.
Living in paradise.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 01:43:30 PM »

The Bach clones from Peruvian seed also have two types: broad and narrow leaf.

Toxicodendron

• Trading Score: +88
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:19:58 PM »

The Hawaiian mother plants that I got my clones from grew big like rhododendron, big leaves. Beautiful plants that supplied some of the Aya communities on the big island, from what I gather.

abraxxas

• I am a new member, but I would like to give.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:38:15 AM »

Recently I was talking with an ethnobotanic collector from Colombia, from the country I am, we were discussing the origin of one of my psychotrias, and we had to go back to Hawaii, certainly psychotrias that exist in that place are of Peruvian origin, since there is no autonomy of the plant in hawaii is simply not native to hawaii
Amazonian medicine available to everyone

koacaia

• Trading Score: +124
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 06:39:14 AM »

It's most likely just the climate and volcanic conditions, even when I get plants from other places they seem to grow faster and become more potent here on the big island.
Living in paradise.

Vazkh

• Trader
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 07:46:23 AM »

It's most likely just the climate and volcanic conditions, even when I get plants from other places they seem to grow faster and become more potent here on the big island.

The only way to know would be cultivating one plant from Hawaii and another from the continent in the same place and compare. In fact I want to do just that.

I had a psychotria viridis plant obtained from a leaf bought on eBay but I unfortunately killed it with fertilizer.