Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Starting with cacti: Cuttings or seeds?  (Read 4552 times)

Salvia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 4
Starting with cacti: Cuttings or seeds?
« on: October 29, 2019, 07:59:51 PM »

Hi,
I'd like to start growing magical cacti, probably some fast growing trichocereus and also a peyote (just for the looks :D). Would you suggest me to start with seeds or a cutting? 
What are the pros/cons od both options?
Keep in mind I have 0 experience growing cacti.
With trichocereus I'd be aiming for a relatively fast growth, and harvesting plant material (ofc I don't expect anything crazy). With peyote I'll be happy just keeping it healthy. I Can get a 3cm yote for 10€ locally.
Getting a cutting/ estabilished plant seems like an easier option to me, or am I wrong?

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Starting with cacti: Cuttings or seeds?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »

Start with raising cuttings of trichocereus cacti. They're much more forgiving for beginners, are cheaper to grow and don't require as much TLC and patience as seedlings (they grow much faster than lophs, too). Given the slower growth rate and sensitivity and difficulty/high cost and risk of growing lophs, I'd recommend starting with tricho cuttings, then if you feel confident enough, start trying to start new trichs from seeds, then go for lophs once you get a good grasp of succulent cultivation. I believe that in order to learn how to grow a plant, you need to kill ten more trying, and cacti are no exception.

TLDR you should start with tricho cuttings--> tricho seedlings and then lophs once you get a good grasp on cultivating trichs.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:34:03 PM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Salvia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:26:41 PM »

I believe that in order to learn how to grow a plant, you need to kill ten more trying, and cacti are no exception.
Lol that´s a nice thought xD.
Thanks a lot for the answer. I´m gonna try to get some trichs in a trade on reddit, or here when I gain the full membership.
What are the main problems with lophs excluding slow growth? I´d like to have one just because how nice and iconic cactus it is.

FranxLove

• We come and go, like a ripple on a stream
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 01:56:04 PM »

I believe that in order to learn how to grow a plant, you need to kill ten more trying, and cacti are no exception.

So true.

One's first lophs died, and they were growing fast for seedlings too! Lack of love honestly. Now one understands were one went wrong. They should be given the attention they deserve, and then they will probably strive. That means having them in a good and practical container, misting always that the ground is dry, and doing this every day for a long time.

coAsTal

• Trader
  • Friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »

I would offer the advice that you start with both a cutting or two and seeds--

I was reluctant to attempt trich seed growing for many years, talking myself out of it because of the time commitment required, but now that I've done it I realize I wasted those years under a completely false impression that it would be difficult-- but it's effortless!!  :)

If you look up a method commonly called the Takeaway Tek for seed germination, it's so simple and hands-off that anyone can do it.
I'm a huge fan of that technique for small grows (and you can adjust the method to larger containers as well)

Seeds are so very cheap, and all you need is modest light, average temperatures, and time.

Trichs are Treats!!!