Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: what's eating my salvia plant?  (Read 4856 times)

cactusman

• Trading Score: +9
what's eating my salvia plant?
« on: October 26, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »

Anyone knows what is eating my salvia plant? Pretty sure it's some moths that like hanging around the garden as I haven't seen any snails or slugs at night or at daytime honestly been years since I've seen them anywhere near my plants.

chronic

• Trading Score: +97
Re: what's eating my salvia plant?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 08:09:57 AM »

Moths are possible. It could also be caterpillars. Normally caterpillars eat from the side and not directly in the middle. But I have already experienced that they eat from the middle.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »

Check the undersides of the leaves for some small black droppings. Looks like caterpillar to me... same thing is on my sallies permanently.
Praise is mandatory.

cactusman

• Trading Score: +9
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »

Haven't found a single bit of poop and I've been looking for it since this started ... Might just build a mesh out of pantyhose or something put onto a frame to cover the plant lol

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »

So: Since I do ever since have a strikingly similar issue with sallies (larger plants, cuttings are clean probably because of proper sanitisation) I've made use of a handy situation I currently have: For winter I've out one sally in a room where there is no other plant.
So yesterday night I went ahead and took out the old yellow and blue glue cards and set one of each up for it. I was a bit worried the glue turned bad after maybe 10 years or so. Nope, guess what: First catch this morning on the blue card. A tiny fly it seems... well it has wings you know. I'll try to get means of magnification and out a picture up later.
Praise is mandatory.

IndigoRose

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »

Mine get SMASHED by grasshoppers...they live on it & eat till all gone!  They even stack themselves 2 or 3 high on top of each other while on it!  I have to keep them in pots so I can place them either inside or up high just so they can recover & survive.  I learnt that lesson REAL quick!