Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bryophytes - Liverwort, Hornwort and Moss  (Read 1906 times)

Hopfrog

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
Bryophytes - Liverwort, Hornwort and Moss
« on: April 08, 2020, 10:38:09 PM »

These little plants have been holding the same ecological niches for near as long as anything else has lived on land. Many of the other types of plants that closely resemble their ancient ancestors have diverse chemical profiles. With the thousands of species of bryophyte identified around the world, it would seem that we have just scratched the surface of what they have to offer humanity. Have they sparked an interest in anyone else like they have me?

chronic

• Trading Score: +97
Re: Bryophytes - Liverwort, Hornwort and Moss
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:20:27 AM »

Since some months I am fascinated by these plants and I am looking for certain species which are suitable for terrariums. Especially concerning suitable mosses this is not so easy. There are some mosses which are suitable for aquariums and which can be converted to emerses growth. Unfortunately most species are not what I am looking for.

Do you have interesting species in culture for which the species affiliation was certainly determined?

Hopfrog

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 02:19:19 AM »

I'm going to work towards identifying the mosses I have growing soon. I'm definitely going to grow some under water. I guess I've seen moss underwater in creeks before, but had never thought of it as an aquarium plant. I'm definitely going to try to find some of those. Is there a good source for identifying moss or other bryophyte species?

arborescent

• Trading Score: +33
  • phytognostic
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 03:51:12 AM »

I have been very superficially interested in Radula spp due them containing (seemingly) the only known effective cannabinoids aside from Cannabis, namely perrottetinene.
Plus there's that cup lichen that some claim gives a good high lol  :) but I doubt its a good idea to be smoking something that digests rocks to partially make its living.

They seem to grow so slowly and under specific conditions so I've never considered them for cultivation, but the very simple plants do seem quite amazing in their native habitats, able to take on unique challenges. I also love the mossy in densely shaded areas near creeks, they have a wonderful smell and give me deep feelings of relaxation. Partially because I figure it's taken them so long to colonize an area it must not have had many humans messing with it.

Hopfrog

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 06:07:25 AM »

Moss just creates such cool environments for people and plants. It helps me have seeds to volunteer that would normally take huge amounts of effort. I couldn't get my clematis to root, and it rooted itself under my moss bed.