Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The art of artichoke  (Read 2095 times)

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
The art of artichoke
« on: July 31, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »

In my area there is a large abundance of artichoke (a very very prickly plant) which is currently seeding, and was wondering if anyone may have any advice to offer on how to properly & safely harvest & store the seeds for maximum shelf life. I thank you for your time and help.

Shadilay,
Mangrove
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: The art of artichoke
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:53:53 PM »

How I would do it is to go to the heads that are opening and beginning to release seed, cut them with several inches of stem, place them in a clean paper bag, and set it in the shade for several days. I would then tease the seeds out of the heads with a butter knife, proceed to remove the fluff from the seeds, and dry the seeds on a plate in the shade for several days before sealing in a plastic bag for storage.
If I wanted to keep them viable for more than a couple of years I would do a final 3 day drying in a jar with silica desiccant and keep the seeds sealed in a jar in the refrigerator, in the back near the bottom.
The closely related cardoon was found to drop to 50% seed viability after 7 years.