Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello from Zone 8b!  (Read 6124 times)

emmymerri920

Hello from Zone 8b!
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:43:31 PM »

Hi all! Just heard about this forum yesterday through a friend, and was immediately captivated by the wealth of knowledge. My home is mycology, but over this past year I've dipped my toes into ethnobotany. In that time I've become a cactus collector, passionflower cloner, and hopefully someday a proud P. Viridis mother (fingers crossed that my seeds are viable, they're a year old though  :-\). My mycological interests mane-ly involve lion's mane, but hoping to move on to other interesting varieties, like stropharia rugosoannulata. Of all I am growing and planning to grow, though, I'd say my pride and joy is my red amaranth (A. cruentus, I want to say?) that was collected by a friend from a monastery up in the Andes Mountains. I'll make sure to upload some pictures of it once I get back home.

What I grow and how I grow are deeply rooted in the twin philosophies of permaculture and ethnobotany. Living in the inner-city, I have to do container-style gardening, but such limitations have only taught me how to make the most of a small space. I can't wait to learn all I can from this community, and hopefully teach others a thing or two!

Leon

• Trading Score: 5
Re: Hello from Zone 8b!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:32 AM »

Ethnobotany is wonderful to study and great to know. Learning to cultivate the plants make it that much better. Best of luck on the viridis. Let us know how it turns out.

I’m more ethnobotany and cacti than mycology but I do enjoy mycology and dabble with it. Someday I’ll get more serious about it but currently over run with cacti, literally. Not enough time to start up many more projects besides an acacia forest.

Glad to have you on board. I’ll be sticking around

emmymerri920

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:16:20 AM »

Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Not enough time to start up many more projects besides an acacia forest.

Acacia forest... now that sounds like an exciting undertaking. And being overrun with cacti sounds like a great problem to have. My collection is pretty small still, but by the end of the week I’ll be adding a created montrose to the mix  :D

As promised, here’s my pride-and-joy amaranth. Been keeping a steady eye on it these past few weeks, after all it’s hard not to look when it’s got such a pretty bloom

Leon

• Trading Score: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:46:57 PM »

Beautiful amaranth! Looking at and smelling flowers is a joy in life.

Crested cacti are very neat.

The forest is just seedlings right now. Hopefully several of each survive winter.