Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Can you root San Pedro in perlite and vermiculite  (Read 4994 times)

Fontoking61777

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
Can you root San Pedro in perlite and vermiculite
« on: June 20, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »

Can you root San Pedro in perlite and vermiculite ?

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Can you root San Pedro in perlite and vermiculite
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 05:45:36 AM »

I would think so. The key seems to be that light be restricted from the area that you want to root, and the type of media is kind of secondary, at least in my experience.

Others with more experience than me may want to chime in as well.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »

I would probably avoid vermiculite out of fear of it both promoting rot and not providing support.
Once calloused fully the future below ground area can be kept dark by planting in dry sand or wrapping with paper, I've even seen people use socks. This gives it time to poke out root buds. At that point I just plant it in soil.

Fontoking61777

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 09:03:28 PM »

Thank you man ended up going with 2 in dry sand  and one in a couple black socks and 3 in dry ffof mixed with dry sand  hope all goes well with ones mixed with ffof but it's dry and didn't have enough sand so had to use so soil as a fill in I'll let you guys know how everything works out I posted a few pics in my trichocereus hybrid thread if u guys wanna take a look

Solipsis

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »

Cacti root from elevated humidity levels underground.

So what seems best is to have a material that holds water (it doesn't have to be much) and slowly releases it.. and on top of that you would want a dry layer which slowly has the more humid air passing through going up..
Always prevent sustained moisture contact with the cactus. Let it callus well first and perhaps just suspend it right above the dry layer to be even more careful. Also ideally have everything go dry frequently before making moist again, to prevent rot.

Similarly i root cacti like peres (which yes root very very easily) not in water which imo sucks, but just in a glass with a piece of moist tissue in the bottom and dry tissue on top of that. With the cactus placed right above that, it should root alright.

Note that it should be a certain temperature/season for the average cactus to want to root, i think. Don't try it in a cold season.

I tried perlite and vermiculite but didn't like it personally. I really don't think you need it. Vermiculite retains water too well and perlite releases it too well in my opinion. The humidity needed probably is better to be much more subtle.

cactusman

• Trading Score: +9
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 06:03:43 AM »

I've rooted many cut's in a tub full of perlite outside in the shade; keep the vermiculite away no need.

Solipsis

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 12:48:21 PM »

That works better in some climates and seasons than others i think..

It's funny that often on a forum, ppl try to answer questions but it wasn't mentioned in what kind of conditions the OP is growing. I think that can make the appropriate solution very differently tbh.

Especially when it comes to regulating moisture to trigger rooting but on the other hand not allow rot - with colder and wetter conditions or indoors growing you have different challenges.

Otorongo

• Trading Score: +20
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »

Any medium should work, as long as it keeps light away. Vermiculite is ok as long as you ensure low moisture levels, but just perlite is probably better in most cases as it will make it easier to keep it dry.

A bit of moisture helps, but you can achieve that with just perlite.

Solipsis

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »

I figured the same thing that it would be easier to keep perlite dry, but I think you shouldnt put your cactus in direct contact anyway with moist material.
Just use verm (or perlite) or another material to serve as a sponge or water reservoir. I think vermiculite is good cause it releases water a lot slower so the underground humidity the cactus gets exposed to indirectly should be lower.
Its about that air humidity not the wet material itself, there should be a nice buffer between the material and your cactus which should protect it from rot in either case.

That said, sometimes I am lazy and just put a piece of cactus just on the top soil of another plant and just make sure that it doesnt get moist directly for any appreciable time.

Ofc water-loving cacti should be rooted differently and that tends to be super easy.

MeltedMindset

• Trading Score: +10
  • Peace love and plants
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »

I use pea pebbles and lava rock usually when I root helps prevent rot and easy to keep an eye on progress. Then if necessary I add anything else I need after they're going good.