Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greetings from zone 6a!  (Read 2482 times)

thanojan

Greetings from zone 6a!
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:21:47 PM »

Hello STS community,

So lucky to be able to recall walking around in father's garden... a little kid dwarfed by huge tomato, zucchini, pepper plants! Mmmmm-the taste of just picked vegetables and fruit, surrounded by the smell of DIRT... so lucky. The garden is a special place, especially in our fast paced consumer culture. The luck continued- Education in biology and opportunities to work, travel and explore inside and out. Wife, kiddos, "things". So grateful.

Everything is here and now and, wow, I love Everything.  So I'm trying to continue to make myself a better human being and give back.

Interests: permaculture, aquaponics, multi-climate greenhouse systems, indoor gardening, sustainable living, conservation.

Going slowly and learning a lot. Recently placed some Raspberry Anne and Blackberry varieties in the ground. The goal is a multi-layered canopy with nut/fruit trees on top, mid-level fruit bearing bushes, and seed/vegetative producing ground cover.

So happy this community exists and I look forward to contributing!

Love, Peace and Sustainably-sourced Grease,

thanojan

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
Re: Greetings from zone 6a!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 02:33:02 AM »

Welcome, im increasingly drawn to permaculture and we are in similar regions (7b) so I am sure we will have plenty to share.  Just started a Paw Paw patch with black berries in pots to eventually grow under canopy.

thanojan

Re: Greetings from zone 6a!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:24:28 PM »

Thanks for the response. ...And now I am obsessed with Paw Paws! haha! At first I imagined Paw Paws in full sun but if they produce well under canopy, even better.
Soil here is CLAY, big rocks and more clay so reclaiming and building soil with fava, bundleflowers, clovers and some other nitro-fixers.