Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello from PNW  (Read 2190 times)

the_madscientist

Hello from PNW
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »

I'm in zone 8b in PNW.  I've been doing some vegetable gardening.  Recently built a raised bed, growing peppers, cukes, cauliflower, asparagus.  Tons of mint in planters, stray alliums and strawberries here and there.  Fighting the hordes of dandilions and crabgrass to try to fix the lawn (have dog, its a must).  Also, figuring out what to plant in the shady areas under the fruit trees in backyard.  Grew a few pretty poppies last year.

After years of randomly browsing cacti sections of hardware stores, on April 20th I found a San Pedro at big orange and it led me down the rabbit hole until I arrived here.  Interested in pedro care and possibly expanding my collection.

Been pondering building a greenhouse, this forum has given me some ideas of what I could put in it. 

Also curious about any interesting perennials and self-seeding annuals that would thrive in zone 8b.  SWIM may have accidentally dropped some poppy seeds on the exposed dirt patches in local public parks.

PS: These captcha's are pretty challenging for even humans... :-/

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
Re: Hello from PNW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »

Can't wait to share with you.  You must be skilled to grow poppies in 8b for sure, this year I started mine late and they never got the requisite cold and had poor germination rates, im down to two I think. 

Anyway we can fill that green house up, have a look around, fill out your profile (want/trade) and most of all enjoy.

-Ian

the_madscientist

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:57:33 PM »

Thanks Ian!

I filled out my profile.  I saved the seeds from the poppies last fall - got about half a spice jar - would happy to send you some you're interested :-D 

the_madscientist

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 06:33:45 AM »

Here's my 3 pedros, pretty sure they are PC pachanoi