Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Repotting Sally d cuttings  (Read 6373 times)

Fontoking61777

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
Repotting Sally d cuttings
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »

I was given 3 cuttings from a fellow sts member a two weeks ago they establish roots in water very fast about 4 days then I put them in a plastic cup little smaller than a solo cup with holes drilled in the bottom with this following soil mix Fox farm ocean Forest one part  , sand one part and one part medium size granite rock they have been doin pretty good thinking of repotting then next week into something bigger and was jus wondering what size smart pot I should grab I was thinking anything between 1 gal to 5 gal but would like someones input who would know better because I've been coming across some conflicting information on pot size for repotting I've read on forms that u don't want to go to big because it could cause root rot but I also heard its good to go big so that one wouldn't have to repot so much do to the fact that good ol Sally d loves her root space .
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:45:40 AM by Fontoking61777 »

JWinteyFresh

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Not enough characters to describe my character :D
Re: Repotting Sally d cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 12:26:37 AM »

I imagine that as long as you use a well draining soil that root rot wont become an issue
Stay gold pony boy

Cody

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 03:44:40 AM »

Hey Fontoking. I had sally d cuttings I ordered a couple years ago. Managed to keep them alive and though it was a battle relatively healthy until I repotted them into large 5 gallon containers. I did put them outside but they did not get too much light. Also it is quite humid in the summer where I live and I am not sure if that is why they died. I doubt it was humidity because they were on my patio with lots of plants and I would spray water in there all the time and mist them often on top of our high levels of humidity.

Mine died from root rot, I watched as the death spread from the roots and soil up the stem. I made a pretty good draining soil with vermiculite perlite sand and soil. Maybe it should have been better draining, but I think a five gallon pot is too big. If I were doing it again (I hope to get some more cuttings this year) I would transfer to a one gallon pot. You can always transfer to a five gallon after it is bigger and stronger. That's just my opinion so good luck! What sally d variety is it that you have?
And it's just a box of rain
I don't know who put it there
Believe it if you need it
Or leave it if you dare
And it's just a box of rain
Or a ribbon for your hair
Such a long long time to be gone
And

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 03:54:57 AM »

You have a few to work with so why not try both approaches?

My own feeling is to go big because when sally is rooting out the rate of root growth is prodigious. Be careful to not overwater when in an oversize pot. I find myself behind the curve most of the time if I pot up too small. My mother plants reside in 10 gal pots and they seem happy enough in those; they've been there for several years now.

I've said it before elsewhere and I'll say it again here now: the secret to my success with this plant is to have them under a misting system that is set to go 4 times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time. I keep my plant outdoors year round except when a freeze threatens, so they get all our climate has to offer. The long hot summer days are decidedly not salvia's favorite time of the year but under the misters she doesn't seem to mind too much.  Dapple shade under and oak tree with maybe an hour or two of direct early morning sun, mist system, and oh yeah, ferts. Sally likes her ferts! That's my secret for success.  :)
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Fontoking61777

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 04:26:27 AM »

I second that Bach I shall try both

Fontoking61777

• Trader
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 04:29:02 AM »

Hey Fontoking. I had sally d cuttings I ordered a couple years ago. Managed to keep them alive and though it was a battle relatively healthy until I repotted them into large 5 gallon containers. I did put them outside but they did not get too much light. Also it is quite humid in the summer where I live and I am not sure if that is why they died. I doubt it was humidity because they were on my patio with lots of plants and I would spray water in there all the time and mist them often on top of our high levels of humidity.

Mine died from root rot, I watched as the death spread from the roots and soil up the stem. I made a pretty good draining soil with vermiculite perlite sand and soil. Maybe it should have been better draining, but I think a five gallon pot is too big. If I were doing it again (I hope to get some more cuttings this year) I would transfer to a one gallon pot. You can always transfer to a five gallon after it is bigger and stronger. That's just my opinion so good luck! What sally d variety is it that you have?
Wasson/Hoffman and I think next time you should try not to use vermiculite if trying to make a fast draining soil as it also retains water and thanks for the luck I need all the luck I can get

Cannabisgardener

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »

Mine are pretty happy in 1 gallons granted they are pretty small. I will probably move to 5 gallons later

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 02:26:47 PM »

Mine are in 1 gallon too. I don’t have a mister set up, just I’m relying on good ol plastic bags.

They’re rooting pretty good, and I’ll probably start to transition them outside in the next couple weeks. It’s not as hot as Bach’s climate where I am, and it’s very wet during summer. In the past I’ve gotten them established to ambient humidity outside, but lost them to cold trying to get them outside too early one year.

Fontoking61777

• Trader
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »

Mine so far 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:32:24 PM by Fontoking61777 »

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 03:54:29 AM »

It's actually been pretty arid here this spring in between the rainstorms. I do have the mother plants under misters like I mentioned here before, but they get really dry between mistings. The test cuttings I've taken this year got no humidity dome and rooted out just fine, being subjected to temps out on the back porch from 45F or so to the mid 80s.

I'm mentioning this because I don't think Salvia needs heavy humidity while rooting and it can lead to troubles down the road acclimating them to drier conditions.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.