Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Salvia Divinorum: Browning of the leaf margins - advice?  (Read 6959 times)

astra_research

• Per Aspera ad Astra
Salvia Divinorum: Browning of the leaf margins - advice?
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:52:48 AM »

Dear all,

I'm in SoCal, 20 miles from the beach so not overly hot/dry. Got 3 Salvia plants in February. They had a lot of browning edges, but one specifically was mangy. Put them in a greenhouse to keep the temps between 50 and 65 (cold winter in socal). Soil - perlite (maybe not enough?), worm castings, miracle gro moisture retaining (not much) + normal soil. Fabric planters so drainage should be ok? Some LEDs from Amazon during the day. Misting 2-3 times a day. Watering once every 4-5 days. Soil is damp-ish. Miracle gro fert once every 10-12 days. Psych Alba+ Viridis in the back. I do see some fungus gnats but not a lot, put some tape in there and mosquito bits but no changes.
They perked up a bit when I left the greenhouse open during the recent santa ana winds spell with 20 humidity. I think they liked that. Before coming here they were on a patio with no humidity control whatsoever but they were mangy.

Any ideas would be appreciated! More we know the better we live with Salvia.

Thank you

blackb0x

• Trading Score: +8
Re: Salvia Divinorum: Browning of the leaf margins - advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:03:00 AM »

Lots of leaf curl and burnt leaf tips. That's generally caused by low humidity in my experience.

astra_research

• Per Aspera ad Astra
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:39:51 PM »

At the time of the picture, it has spent a 1.5 months in a greenhouse with 80%-90%+ humidity and all the new shoots are also browning at the edges. THe other salvias from the same source also started browning the tips of the new shoots in a high humidity environment.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:29:50 PM »

Idk, I had one of those little green houses and it was more of a problem imo. 
Being so small they tend to heat up very fast and also dry out quickly, it's funny because there would be condensation on the plastic but the air would be dry and the soil would dry out real fast too.
Hard to keep consistent environment inside, when the sun comes out it is like a car and can quicky rise in temps, and only takes once to scorch your plants.
Maybe try keeping them out for a week or two and keep the soil nice and wet, I suspect you may start to see healthier growth.

Cannabisgardener

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »

Have used one of those greenhouses to kill my salvia as well. Switch to a grow tent with humidifier or with the exhuast  on timer. Will grow much better.

Cannabisgardener

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 08:50:49 AM »

As always when salvia is introduced into a new enviroment, especially one with such intense light as this that you slowly introduce it to your lights. If you can dim them bring them to half power. I allow one day per every hour of light given in a cycle. Therefore introducing to a 12-12 light cycle requires a minimum of 12 days. If the leafs show signs of slight wilting that is fine. Do not over water as the plants will spend 23 hours in the dark the first day. Do not let go dry as the plant will wilt and burn from the light intensity when lacking water. After 2 weeks can relax the watering schedule if its inconvenient.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:51:47 AM by Cannabisgardener »

sealseekseeds

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »

As always when salvia is introduced into a new enviroment, especially one with such intense light as this that you slowly introduce it to your lights.
Thx cannabisgardener, I had no idea that Salvia is such sensible! Good to know, really big thanks from me!

Cannabisgardener

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 06:15:00 AM »

No problem, I'm sure some people have had success just throwing it in there and letting it adjust, but if you are looking to minimize browned edges, your basically just trying to reduce stress as much as possible. Grow tents due a pretty ideal job at this, limiting exposure to factors that might cause the plant to stress more such as wind, dry air, etc. But they can be pretty bright. Keep in mind I run 250-500W on cobs and quantum boards so my lights are extremely bright.