Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New here, and want so say hello!  (Read 3040 times)

Halbwissen

• I like colourful things!
New here, and want so say hello!
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »

Hello everyone at STS!

My name is Halbwissen, I'm in my mid twenties and from Europe. I've always been interested in plants, fungi and their specific ecological niches, as I find it fascinating to watch them grow under the weirdest conditions, often into mindblowingly beautiful beings. I really appreciate my fosterlings to have an ample background in human culture and civilization, too.

I'm currently planning a small tropical terrarium to help me with some personal issues of mine, and thus looking for reliable identification guides and cultivation tips for psychotria viridis and other rainforest plants. The nexus directed me towards this site for helpful pictures, information on its natural habitat and possibly some pointers on where to get viable seeds or cuttings of p. viridis, since the local suppliers I found seemingly only carry mislabeled albas.

Right now there's not a lot of stuff I could contribute, apart from the knowledge I gained by crawling the interwebs and possibly some stupid questions. I'm looking forward to maybe posting pictures of my terrarium as soon as I get that project started though, and hope I'll become a valuable asset for this community in due time.

That's it for now, nice to meet you all!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:22:40 PM by Halbwissen »
Greetings, this is Halbwissen!

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
Re: New here, and want so say hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »

Hi, and welcome to STS Halbwissen.

Would love to see pics and updates regarding your terrarium.

What plants are you currently growing?

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »

Welcome!  ;D
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Halbwissen

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »

Thank you, bosqueberg and bach!

I'm sharing a garden and a big windowsill with 2 flatmates. There's some basil, chili, strawberries, succulents, calendula and a young apple tree growing here and there, all of them mostly their projects, not mine. I've been more of a mushroom guy for the last years, and enjoy IDing various species (or at least genera) when going on walks. I did care for some tiny oak and beech saplings when I was around 9; I guess that's too long ago to really matter much, though.

To elaborate on the terrarium further, I'm imagining a 40x40x70cm^3 glass room with ~4500K lighting from directly above, humidifier blowing mist down, a two-story interior with light-loving, tiny-leaved vines on top, a 'nursery' area on the bottom and maybe a bioluminescent mushroom growing from a log in the shade. Also a big monstera or philodendron growing beside/above the terrarium.

I'm thinking traditional terrarium plants like ficus pumila and moss might be a good start, just to get some scenery and humidity into the chamber. First priorities are lights and soil composition, though. Photos will follow as soon as I get the right piece of furniture to place it on.

I'm open for any suggestions you might have, too!

Also, I'll add some eyecandy of amanita muscaria and laetiporus sulphureus, because they're both vibrant colours and need plants to thrive.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:37:19 AM by Halbwissen »

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 03:54:38 AM »

funky fungi!

cool idea, haven't seen anything quite like that. please keep us posted as you realize your vision.

can imagine frogs and newts, maybe a snail, hanging out in your misty magic garden.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 04:01:22 AM »

Hello and welcome :)
I think if you stay active and friendly you will find what you are looking for here. 
I am currently on a herping vacation with my fiancée, my son, step son and his cousin, the boys are mostly into snakes but their interests have expanded to botany and mycology too so as we hike around we all enjoy identifying different species of plants and mushrooms.
My step son has had a terrarium for a.couple years for his snake and now too is more interested in the plants you are speaking of. 
Sounds like a fun project!

Halbwissen

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »

I've got a lot of stuff to do currently, sorry for not replying sooner.

@bosqueberg
As far as I know there've been one or two terrarium and paludarium projects posted on this forum already. I don't know what became of them, but I shall take a look later and see if I can get some inspiration out of them. I'll most likely begin a 'growlog' this weekend as I have a good idea of what I want to start with now.

@Shamichael
I wish you two and the kids lots of fun on that vacation!
I love snakes. Sadly my terrarium doesn't provide enough space for most species. I'm considering putting a pair of small geckos in there along the way, since they'd be able to fully use the height. My flatmates aren't too fond of the insects I'd need to feed them though...
Depending on the species of snake your stepson may want to think about more sturdy, less humidity-sensitive plants than p.viridis and such, but I wish him the best of luck either way!