Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Using ga3 on vegetables (and other plants)  (Read 8744 times)

spractral

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +50
  • <3
Using ga3 on vegetables (and other plants)
« on: June 07, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »

Hey,

I procured some 90 % technical grade gibberallic acid recent;y with the main objective in mind being to increase germination rates.

I realized soon after that it can be/is used for many different stage of growth and seems to have multiple purposes for use. Apparently is can even induce a trichocereus, and I'm assuming many other cacti, to grow pups!

I am trying to figure out just how to use this to increase growth in my vegetable garden and maybe other perennials I have in the yard to such as rhododendrons and arborvitaes, some of which my mom has been growing for years.

I am mainly focused on increasing growth on some of my veggies such as peppers , tomatoes, broccoli , kale and cabbage etc. I am especially interested in using it on some of the smaller ones that seem to be stunted.

So yesterday I used a solution that I don't think was very concentrated, maybe about 50mg added to a .8 liter solution of water, and sprayed most of the veggies in the yard on mostly just the tops of them. I didn't use the whole bottle. Then I fed them with 24-8-16 and water them very much. At night I sort of rinsed off the plants a bit in case there was any ga3 left on them.  Today they look very healthy! They are much green and most of them seem to be much more perky and it looks like a few have even grown a bit over night..

So... What I'm wondering is how do you use this stuff? I've tried to find some information but I am mostly just turning up studies on specific plants.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you for reading and hope everything is going well! 
Grow till theres no more room

Shamichael

Re: Using ga3 on vegetables (and other plants)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »

Hey spractral any updates?  I made a solution of about 400 ppm and used on several different types of seeds I have had difficulty germinating and awaiting results. As I play around with it I will post my results here.

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 12:44:22 AM »

i typically think of GA3 for use improving seed germination, at concentrations between 100-1000ppm. too much can inhibit germination tho

it can also applied directly to plant shoots. probably best to do it on nearly mature plants- it can induce stem elongation, but it can also cause a dwarfing effect, idk all those details. I think it is more often used to induce flowering & fruiting, can cause early flowers/fruits, greater fruit yield, may inhibit seed development within these fruits, use to make hybridize closely related species. it can also be used to help increase frost tolerance.

i have lots of notes on auxin, but cant locate the gibberellin notes. theres some crazy cell bio that happens when these hormones (GAs, auxins, cytokinins, etc) interact in different concentrations in different plant tissues. I wish i could just explain it simply, but its honestly a bit over my head.

i generally think "less is more" with most of these plant hormones, so i would make a dilute solution of 1000ppm and spray meristems of pre-flower or budding plants. and i would leave some plants untreated to compare. see how that turns out, then try it at 500ppm.

just a sidenote, BAP sounds like an interesting hormone to play with, supposed to induce branching, ive read it works great with cacti and brugmansia
too much branching will slow overall growth, might not want 15 pups popping off those trichs, but 1-2 new pups would increase growth points

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 01:27:40 AM »

By default I try a 12-24 hour 0.5-1.0% potassium nitrate soak first.
It boost germination rate in most plants and I dont have to worry about strange effects from hormone mega-doses this way.
I keep a bottle of 10% KNO3 stock solution on hand so I can easily mix up 10-20 ml of the target concentration as needed.
Most 'tree stump remover' is pure potassium nitrate, but read the label. One jar lasts a Looong time and the used solution can be diluted and fed as fertilizer to a plant.

Shamichael

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:04:15 AM »

I tried germinating some Catha seeds with no success, so I soaked some in GA3 solution 400 ppm for 24 hrs and I have a couple sprouting.
I also have some BAP and lanolin to play with for cacti pupping.

Are any of you on FB trichocereus groups.  There has been this post about Olivetol and AgNo³ with crazy pupping results, like trichs covered in small pups.  I am trying to get a little to play with as well.
Here's the picture:
https://imgur.com/a/OmGngWd
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:07:52 AM by Shamichael »

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »

That's crazy cool cacti! i figured 0livetol would be impossible to source and may get you listed, because it's the main ingredient in THCsynth.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:13:04 PM by ONandONandON »
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return