Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What are the hardiest varieties of Banisteriopsis caapi, Salvia Divnorum, and...  (Read 3302 times)

The Clam

• Trading Score: +20

And other tropical's?

the_madscientist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_recognita

You may be interested in recognita - much hardier, but about 1/5 as spiritual.

I'd also be interested in anyone who has successfully grown caapi outdoors in cooler climates. Or wintered trichocereus outdoors in zone 8?

Also, it sounds like there is a "Nexus" psychotria hybrid that is crossed with a hardier but less spiritual psychotria.

XDX

• Trading Score: +72

Well, I’m gonna say from my experience the red varieties of caapi and/or muricata (some ambiguity bout IDs) are more cold sensitive than the others I’ve grown (cielo, white, tukunaka, caupuri, orinhos). I have killed several reds, trying to acclimate out of humidity and pot up from tiny 4 in pots. I successfully got the last one I had up to 1gal, was growing it for about idk 6-8 months it responded well and was growing, stretched bout 6 inches w/2-3 new sets of leaves, then stalled. I let it sit for a month or so, then decided to water cause it felt pretty dry on top. I think I both watered a lil too heavily, but more crucial I think it was shocked from the cold water of winter. This happened with a few other plants this winter, indigo comes to mind, easy watering of room temp water...

Ps, holla if anyone can hook me up with another red...

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.

IME, the bumblebee cultivar of M. Speciosa has proven itself to be the hardest variety of this species.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

The Clam

This is all good info guys :), I'm curious if one could breed a more cold hearty variety of each of these. Us northerners could certainly use one lol.

JWinteyFresh

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Not enough characters to describe my character :D

ive been wondering if i could possibly graft a kratom or mimosa cutting to another tree. ive noticed that in wisconsin that most plants will survive winter so long as the roots are long enough or well covered enough to survive the frost. this is a challenge for some plants that take years to develop long roots. makes me wonder if i could grow kratom, jurema, and caapi indoors until they are large enough to be planted outdoors but then id also worry about how well they acclimate at all or if the transplant would shock them before winter even comes around.
Stay gold pony boy

The Clam

ive been wondering if i could possibly graft a kratom or mimosa cutting to another tree. ive noticed that in wisconsin that most plants will survive winter so long as the roots are long enough or well covered enough to survive the frost. this is a challenge for some plants that take years to develop long roots. makes me wonder if i could grow kratom, jurema, and caapi indoors until they are large enough to be planted outdoors but then id also worry about how well they acclimate at all or if the transplant would shock them before winter even comes around.

Could be, but I'd say it prob just produce suckers.