Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Growing D. Wrightii from cuttings  (Read 1980 times)

Jackson

Growing D. Wrightii from cuttings
« on: March 15, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »

Hi, I live in an area where D. Wrightii are native and I have seen a few plants. I want to try and take a cutting and propagate from there. My question is, how would I go about doing that?
What a long strange trip it’s been

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
Re: Growing D. Wrightii from cuttings
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »

Take a handful of seeds and grow those. Really isn't any point to cuttings with this species of Datura as D. wrightii will generally start to have a few sprouts germinate in less than 24 hours if you simply soak them in water. But, if you wanted to have some fun... graft a few tips into the top of a tomato plant. Grab some parafilm, a sharp razor blade, and your good to go. Slice your scion down both sides to form a "v" or tapered end. And make a horizontal cut through your tomato stock. Then a single cut vertically down the middle 1/2 inch should do the trick. Wrap tightly with parafilm and your good to hook. Remove top leaves from your scion and remember a shorter scion 1inch exposed out of the graft is preferable to an overly large scion as it will not dry out as fast on you. Next, place in a humidity dome... plastic bottle, plastic bag, whatever works for you. 2 weeks later and you can remove humidity, but I'd leave the wrap in place as the grafted plant will grow right through it.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.