Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Advice on taking cuttings from Mimosa Hostilis  (Read 3132 times)

EthnoSam

Advice on taking cuttings from Mimosa Hostilis
« on: January 17, 2019, 02:29:12 AM »

Ive got a Mimosa Hostilis sapling thats about 2 feet tall now.  Its doubled in size since I received it and looks nice an healthy.  Is it to small to try and take a cutting or two and try and root them?  Any advice on the type of medium or soil mixture that works best for rooting would be helpful.

svk

• Trading Score: +7
Re: Advice on taking cuttings from Mimosa Hostilis
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:34:42 PM »

I'm also wondering about this. my mimosa is super tall and skinny and looks like a mess, unlike Sam's  :-\

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »

Don't be afraid to take cuttings of things. Most plants respond well to occasional trimming and it helps them bush out if they are looking scraggly. I haven't attempted cuttings of my Mimosa, but from what I hear they aren't too difficult.

I'd use a very light rooting medium that holds some water, like perlite or pumice and put them under a humdity dome. Take your cutting and remove almost all the leaves. Stick it in the moist substrate, cover with whatever you are using for a dome and put them in a warm spot with moderate lighting. Rooting hormones might help, but having never tried Mimosa I can't say how it might respond. Some plants don't really respond to hormones, and with others it's easy to overdo it. 

Some plants root better from woody cuttings, some from green wood cuttings. I don't know which is better for Mimosa, but a little research would no doubt get you pointed in the right direction.

Experiment and find out what works for you. AND let us know what that turns out to be!  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:20:18 PM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:54:11 PM »

Have you heard of air layering? I haven't tried it, but I know our Admin nobody recommends it for hostilis.

Let us know how the experiments go. I tried rooting mimosas with woody stems, not woody stems, older growth, newer growth, yada yada with no luck several years back, but mine were in a crappy climate for the species.

Take care!