Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How long can trichocereus seeds last? (and germinate)  (Read 1960 times)

husk

• Trading Score: +39
How long can trichocereus seeds last? (and germinate)
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:05:59 AM »

How long can trichocereus seeds last and germinate?

I am seeing that they can make it 5 years and still germinate but I was curious if anyone had any experience with saving old seed and having it sprout longer than that. I hear optimal storage is in a refrigerator but I would think they would be fine if kept dry in a baggie for quite some time.

My living situation is not optimized for growing much of anything and I am trying to plan for the not-too-immediate future where I live on my own again.

Surely stocking up on seed can't be too bad of a decision...right?

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: How long can trichocereus seeds last? (and germinate)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 06:06:40 AM »

Easily 5 years if kept cool and dark and away from toxic fumes of any sort.
I once found a mixed cactus seed packet in the back of a closet in my house, the kind of paper seed packet found on a rack in the sun between acetone and weed killer in the hardware store, it had apparently been there behind junk for 14 years. Those seeds germinated :D
To do better than that seal them in a clean jar with some dry beans or dry (non-instant) rice and keep in the back of the refrigerator far away from the cold air inlet and let the jar warm up to room temperature before opening on the rare occasions you open it. They'll last for decades.

husk

• Trading Score: +39
Re: How long can trichocereus seeds last? (and germinate)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »

Thanks for the helpful reply, I will work out a container for the seeds to be put in the fridge as you suggested.