Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grafting on same Family (Rubiaceae) Psychotria and Mitragyna  (Read 2130 times)

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Grafting on same Family (Rubiaceae) Psychotria and Mitragyna
« on: January 05, 2024, 09:44:42 PM »

So I've proposed this idea many years back but am unsure if anyone actually attempted it or not. I shared it recently with Pollinator but I think he had losses from cold snap last year.

I've been starting up my collection from scratch and now I've build it up enough that I have attempted to graft a psychotria viridis stem cutting onto a mitragyna sp stock plant. Within just a 4 months the mitragyna from seed is already quite large and the largest was used as a grafting stock. I've used an already established viridis that I have as the scion.

The basic idea is that the stock plant will provide lots of growth to the scion. The difference in growth rate is absurd and if successful I'll collect material to know if the alkaloid profile remains the same or not.

This is a wide graft and likely not to work however seeing as they are in the same family 'Rubiaceae' I thought it would be worth trying. Even if the first attempts are a failure I'll reattempt a few times since a lack of grafting technique may be a factor.

The photo is from today 13 days after the graft was preformed. A smaller graft failed and the scion turned black so I'm hopeful that this one succeeded. The stem is fairly ridge so seems like a good sign.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

blackb0x

• Trading Score: +8
Re: Grafting on same Family (Rubiaceae) Psychotria and Mitragyna
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 04:50:07 PM »

Wow, exciting stuff. I hope it works out!

modern

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 09:39:48 PM »

So today I removed the wrap around the grafts which likely not a good idea but it seems like the graft union took. It's been almost 3 weeks since the graft was preformed. New growth if any is minimal but in the next few weeks I'll see if there is a growth increase or even growth in general of the psychotria scions. At the very least the stock is providing water to keep it alive.

Greenmystery

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 06:25:32 PM »

Interesting project you got going on.
Look forward to seeing results in a few months.
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

modern

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 01:31:07 PM »

So a small update... the day following removing the humidity bag the top graft limped and failed so I cut it and the side graft returned to high humidity bag. It is still alive but if there is any growth which I believe there is it is very slow for now.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 08:53:16 PM »

Modern, try an approach graft instead. It's a different style which is more suited to tropicals that don't go dormant.

A quick googlization will get you all the tek info you need, 
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

modern

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 04:12:57 PM »

Modern, try an approach graft instead. It's a different style which is more suited to tropicals that don't go dormant.

A quick googlization will get you all the tek info you need,

I'll try this on my third attempt. My first attempt which is what I posted here failed. I think it's due to not allowing the graft to remain under wraps for long enough. I did a second attempt the start of Feb and I'll be leaving it wrapped for atleast a month rather than 2 weeks. May even leave it longer depending on how it looks. Under the baggy the psychotria did remain alive but the graft union was not strong. There did seem there was some union but it failed.

I have more psychotria growing and my 'kratom' are specifically grown for this experiment so it is fine.