Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: MISTLETOE will it grow from cuttings? in soil? lets find out!  (Read 2994 times)

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
MISTLETOE will it grow from cuttings? in soil? lets find out!
« on: December 19, 2018, 08:44:41 PM »

While cleaning the yard yesterday, pulling down dead limbs, burning them in a bonfire..
i found green growing on a dead limb with different leaves, i figured must be mistletoe!

i find it interesting, for several reasons, and would like to keep some live specimens, though i see it in trees, it's always to high.

Most info online is about how to grow from seed, with one vague reference to them being grown in soil.

if you get seeds just make a small cut in a tree and squish in the berry/seeds..
The main hosts are apple, hawthorn, lime and poplar, although maples, willows, plums and rowans may also be suitable.
In fact, most trees and shrubs of the rose family (Rosaceae) may be suitable.

The plant i got broke into several pieces, also the berries were just emerging not formed.
i'll try rooting them, and will post results, if anyone has any helpful advice, please share :)
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: MISTLETOE will it grow from cuttings? in soil? lets find out!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »

The mistletow cuttings are not rooting looks like..
but i did find some low hanging toes with berries!
i can easily harvest more, if anyone wants some.

apparently the seeds can sprout in soil, so that is the next experiment.. i also stuck a few seeds on a crab-apple tree in the yard.

Only use fresh berries for mistletoe growing. You will need to remove the seed from the berry. To do this, just squeeze out the seed and then rub off most of the sticky coating. Rinse the seed and then plant the seeds. In the wild, mistletoe grows on host plants but this condition is not necessary for germination. Most species of mistletoe seed needs light for germination but can also sprout in moist seed flats. Use a potting mix with generous amounts of peat in a flat. Sow several seeds and mist the medium until damp. Place a lid or plastic over the flat and place it in a well lit area with temperatures at least 60 F. (16 C.). The mistletoe will need to be moved to a host plant to grow on, but rooting can be sporadic. Ideally, you should just push the seeds into a host plant’s bark and spritz them daily with water to keep them moist. Germination may take several months depending on the light, moisture and temperature conditions.

Then it takes four years! to start growing berries.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return