Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: soil mix questions for trichocereus pachanoi  (Read 3431 times)

Fontoking61777

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
soil mix questions for trichocereus pachanoi
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »

what soil mix ratio would be good with the things that i have for trichocereus pachanoi and hybrids should any kind of fertilizer be used also starting from seed also would four 14 watt cfl be enough to grow seedlings  also are these things microwavable I've heard of people using microwave to sterilize the mix
fox Farm potting soil 
perlite
horticultural sand
vermeculite

svk

• Trading Score: +7
Re: soil mix questions for trichocereus pachanoi
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »

that soil mix will probably do great. if that potting soil is full of organics like humus and is bioactive and you might want to microwave

I think its more than enough light as well
you want to make sure the humidity is constant high, which is why you might microwave as well, so you dont get tons of fungi outbreak and isopods or whatever might be in the soil

Fontoking61777

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:43:17 PM »

thanks for the reply man how long do u think it should be microwaved for ?

geezer

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »

steam does the work of killing

watch for steam and I'd guess 3 full minutes of visible steam would pastuerize anything you could fit in the microwave

my neighbor had rows and rows of greenhouses. he used to throw soil or whatever he was growing seedlings in into a pile around a horizontal 55 gallon drum which had a wood fire going inside it. he said he watched the pile for steam and once he thought the whole pile was steaming he'd know no seed in the mix could survive

give some thought to how you'll transplant the sprouts. you have to pluck them out of the medium they're in and into a new home. the soil will need to "give" enough to move the tiny and delicate sprout without damaging it during the plucking. so you want granular soil as opposed to a very fiber-y  stringy soil
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:13:56 PM by geezer »
all about the cactus

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »

I would be carefull with the potting soil, it usually has alot of not fully composted materials that just love to mold in the high humidity/moisture medium.  I would at least screen it very well.
    I have not started cacti seedlings in some time but I usually used about 1 part quality peat based seed starting mix, and 1 part coarse sharp sand.   Putting a 3/8" -1/2" layer of sand on top the mix is a Huge help to avoid many mold issues.
   Some fertilize from a early age, but its not necessary and is something eazy to screw up and do more harm than good if not kill.
III%

Scarlet Dragon

• Free the mind . . . Free the mind. . . .
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:02:37 PM »

steam does the work of killing

watch for steam and I'd guess 3 full minutes of visible steam would pastuerize anything you could fit in the microwave

my neighbor had rows and rows of greenhouses. he used to throw soil or whatever he was growing seedlings in into a pile around a horizontal 55 gallon drum which had a wood fire going inside it. he said he watched the pile for steam and once he thought the whole pile was steaming he'd know no seed in the mix could survive

give some thought to how you'll transplant the sprouts. you have to pluck them out of the medium they're in and into a new home. the soil will need to "give" enough to move the tiny and delicate sprout without damaging it during the plucking. so you want granular soil as opposed to a very fiber-y  stringy soil

What is the best soil mix to transplant them to and what's the optional container size?  I also am about to try a batch of seeds. Any success growing cacti hydrponically?
"'Human beings are infinitely more complex and mysterious than our wildest fantasies.'" -D.J. The Power of Silence

Fontoking61777

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 05:15:52 AM »

I would be carefull with the potting soil, it usually has alot of not fully composted materials that just love to mold in the high humidity/moisture medium.  I would at least screen it very well.
    I have not started cacti seedlings in some time but I usually used about 1 part quality peat based seed starting mix, and 1 part coarse sharp sand.   Putting a 3/8" -1/2" layer of sand on top the mix is a Huge help to avoid many mold issues.
   Some fertilize from a early age, but its not necessary and is something eazy to screw up and do more harm than good if not kill.
do u think this would be a good mix for a seed starting mix having trouble finding any other soil than miracle grow
4 parts course coir
3 parts grit
3 parts sand
1 part pumice
1 part Sphagnum Moss - Milled
should i add any kind of fertilizer